Most Recent Entries
- Sunlake’s Remi Pimm named Florida Dairy Farmers’ 2014 Mr. Soccer
- Rays v Twins: Injury updates and lineups
- Novel explores temptations, ramifications of steroid use
- Rays @ BoSox: Lineups and injury updates
- Rays @ Yankees: Notes and lineups
- Update on Peralta’s neck
- Rays v Pirates: Moore on the bump, McClung on the bus
- Plant coach Roy Harrison elected to FHSAA Hall of Fame
- Volleyball: Freedom’s Schaller signs with Eckerd
- Five athletes at Strawberry Crest to play at next level
- Sunlake F Remi Pimm named Florida Dairy Farmers State 3A Player of the Year
- Anclote volleyball coach Chris Vergnaud steps down to join PHSC staff
- Hillsborough County’s top seniors take court tonight in TBBCA All-Star game
- Gregory, Corbett, Sanders, Childs, Channer to play in FABC state all-star basketball game
- Rays prepare for raining day - Price now pitching sim game in Port Charlotte
Robinson product Gibson advances to NCAA track finals
Posted May 26, 2012 by Bill Ward
Updated May 26, 2012 at 12:29 PM
Former Robinson High track star Darrin Gibson, now a junior at Florida State University, earned his first berth in the NCAA Championships’ 800-meter run at Friday’s East Preliminary Round at the University of North Florida in Jacksonville.
Gibson, a state champion in the 800 his senior year at Robinson, finished strong in the second round of the 800 at UNF to finish third in his heat and ninth overall with a time of 1 minute, 48.84 seconds.
Gibson was one of seven FSU athletes Friday that qualified for the NCAA Championship meet, pushing the Seminoles’ two-day team total to 11 qualifiers. The NCAA Outdoor Track & Field Championships are June 6-9 at Drake University.
“We had some huge breakthroughs,” Braman said. “[Darrin] Gibson earning his first trip to nationals, all three 100 guys getting through and then the girls steeple.”