Most Recent Entries
- Manuel signs deal with Panini Authentic
- Panini previews Gold Standard basketball
- Golf: All-Western Conference Teams
- Baseball: Jesuit OF Taylor selects Duke
- Land O’ Lakes defensive standout Shaheed Salmon picks up first offer
- Football: All-Western Conference Teams
- Rays non-tender Fuld
- Chargers WR Allen top rookie in Week 12 voting
- Collect call: 2014 Topps U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Team and Hopefuls
- Panini’s Totally Certified hockey to debut in February
- Leaf releases some corny inserts
- Volleyball: Berkeley Prep’s Brown a finalist for Miss Volleyball
- Rays 2014 spring training schedule
- Proposal would ease FHSAA penalty for violating “follow the coach” law
- Maddon’s Thanksmas returns for 8th year
Riverview’s Babinec signs with USF
Posted Mar 31, 2012 by Bill Ward
Updated Mar 31, 2012 at 05:33 PM
Riverview senior Michael Babinec, an all-state performer last cross country season and a first team member of the Tampa Tribune’s all-Hillsborough County squad, has signed a National Letter of Intent with the University of South Florida.
Babinec said he was also considering the University of Tampa and Florida Southern College but decided on the Bulls for the size of the school and the ability to compete at the Division I level.
“I was looking for a change,” Babinec said. “(Until Riverview), I’ve gone to smaller schools most of my life and I like the idea of going to a big university like USF and running at that level.”
Babinec reached the state cross country meet for the first time last fall and made the most of it. He finished in eighth place overall of the Class 4A finals in a 5-kilometer time of 15 minutes, 57 seconds. His 5k personal record is 15:45.
In track, Babinec has run the 3,200 in 9:46.42 and the 1,600 in 4:30.42 and captured first place in both events at last week’s Western Conference Federal Division meet, which served as one of three qualifiers for Wednesday’s Vernon Korhn Hillsborough County Championships at Jefferson. at Spoto on Wednesday.
Saturday at Hillsborough, Babinec helped the Sharks win the boys team title at the Manuel-Griffin-Frandorfer Relays.
At USF, Babinec will join another state standout, Palmetto Ridge’s Josh Josh Pelletier, as an incoming freshman on the team. Pelletier was 12th in the 3A state championships.