Most Recent Entries
- Panini goes on a basketball Crusade
- Sunlake’s Remi Pimm named Florida Dairy Farmers’ 2014 Mr. Soccer
- Rays v Twins: Injury updates and lineups
- Novel explores temptations, ramifications of steroid use
- Rays @ BoSox: Lineups and injury updates
- Rays @ Yankees: Notes and lineups
- Update on Peralta’s neck
- Rays v Pirates: Moore on the bump, McClung on the bus
- Plant coach Roy Harrison elected to FHSAA Hall of Fame
- Volleyball: Freedom’s Schaller signs with Eckerd
- Five athletes at Strawberry Crest to play at next level
- Sunlake F Remi Pimm named Florida Dairy Farmers State 3A Player of the Year
- Anclote volleyball coach Chris Vergnaud steps down to join PHSC staff
- Hillsborough County’s top seniors take court tonight in TBBCA All-Star game
- Gregory, Corbett, Sanders, Childs, Channer to play in FABC state all-star basketball game
Riverview’s Babinec signs with USF
Posted Mar 31, 2012 by Bill Ward
Updated Mar 31, 2012 at 05:33 PM
Riverview senior Michael Babinec, an all-state performer last cross country season and a first team member of the Tampa Tribune’s all-Hillsborough County squad, has signed a National Letter of Intent with the University of South Florida.
Babinec said he was also considering the University of Tampa and Florida Southern College but decided on the Bulls for the size of the school and the ability to compete at the Division I level.
“I was looking for a change,” Babinec said. “(Until Riverview), I’ve gone to smaller schools most of my life and I like the idea of going to a big university like USF and running at that level.”
Babinec reached the state cross country meet for the first time last fall and made the most of it. He finished in eighth place overall of the Class 4A finals in a 5-kilometer time of 15 minutes, 57 seconds. His 5k personal record is 15:45.
In track, Babinec has run the 3,200 in 9:46.42 and the 1,600 in 4:30.42 and captured first place in both events at last week’s Western Conference Federal Division meet, which served as one of three qualifiers for Wednesday’s Vernon Korhn Hillsborough County Championships at Jefferson. at Spoto on Wednesday.
Saturday at Hillsborough, Babinec helped the Sharks win the boys team title at the Manuel-Griffin-Frandorfer Relays.
At USF, Babinec will join another state standout, Palmetto Ridge’s Josh Josh Pelletier, as an incoming freshman on the team. Pelletier was 12th in the 3A state championships.