Most Recent Entries
- Stargell stands tall in biography
- Profar is second Bowman redemption card
- Rays @ Jays: Victoria Day matinee
- Green seeking funds for trip
- Area Athletes Shine at Golden South Classic
- Rays @ O’s: Moore looking to go 8-0, Rays looking for sweep
- Collect call: 2013 Bowman baseball
- Rays @ O’s: Rays on FOX game of the week
- Seffner Christian’s Hanson picks Liberty
- Current Baseball America prospect list boasts five locals
- Rays @ O’s: Hellickson returns to mound to start trip
- Former Newsome tennis standout, Hersh, named POY
- Bishop McLaughlin sophomore OH Alyssa Mathis commits to San Diego State
- Rays v BoSox: Price looks for 2nd win, Escobar moved to 5th in order
- Area athletes sign and commit to colleges
- Bucs Report -Tribune staff
- Rays Report - Roger Mooney
- Bolts Report - Erik Erlendsson
- Bulls Report
- Prep Report - Hillsborough
- Prep Report - Pasco
- Prep Report - Region
- Prep Report - Recruiting Updates
- Prep Report - Football
- Go Fishing: On The Waterfront
- The Sports Bookie - Bob D'Angelo
- Gators Report - Tribune staff
- Youth Sports Report
- NFL Draft Report
- Go Ask: Frank's Tacklebox
- Bucified Bert Blog
- BUK Power - Bucs Fan Blog
- Pigskin Preacher - NFL Fan Blog
- Breakfast Bonus - Tom McEwen
- Highlands Sports
Riverview’s Babinec signs with USF
Posted Mar 31, 2012 by Bill Ward
Updated Mar 31, 2012 at 05:33 PM
Riverview senior Michael Babinec, an all-state performer last cross country season and a first team member of the Tampa Tribune’s all-Hillsborough County squad, has signed a National Letter of Intent with the University of South Florida.
Babinec said he was also considering the University of Tampa and Florida Southern College but decided on the Bulls for the size of the school and the ability to compete at the Division I level.
“I was looking for a change,” Babinec said. “(Until Riverview), I’ve gone to smaller schools most of my life and I like the idea of going to a big university like USF and running at that level.”
Babinec reached the state cross country meet for the first time last fall and made the most of it. He finished in eighth place overall of the Class 4A finals in a 5-kilometer time of 15 minutes, 57 seconds. His 5k personal record is 15:45.
In track, Babinec has run the 3,200 in 9:46.42 and the 1,600 in 4:30.42 and captured first place in both events at last week’s Western Conference Federal Division meet, which served as one of three qualifiers for Wednesday’s Vernon Korhn Hillsborough County Championships at Jefferson. at Spoto on Wednesday.
Saturday at Hillsborough, Babinec helped the Sharks win the boys team title at the Manuel-Griffin-Frandorfer Relays.
At USF, Babinec will join another state standout, Palmetto Ridge’s Josh Josh Pelletier, as an incoming freshman on the team. Pelletier was 12th in the 3A state championships.