Most Recent Entries
- Rays v Yanks: Nova to DL, Teixeira returns, updates on Cobb, Helly, DJ and lineups
- Rays v Yankees: Jennings out with groin injury
- Rays vs Yankees: lineups
- Girls Basketball: Walker, Gregory lead Tampa Bay players on All-State Teams
- A fresh, entertaining look at the 1991 World Series
- Plant’s Donahue signs with UF
- Florida High School Softball State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Brrrrrrrrrr
- Five Berkekey Prep student-athletes to be recognized at signing ceremony Wednesday
- Gulf softball coach Rick Hohenthaner resigns after 12 seasons
- Leaf heads to auction with Manziel predictor packs
- Panini provides a look at 2013-14 Signatures basketball product
- Testaverde leads group of seven Jesuit athletes to sign NLI’s Wednesday
- Florida High School Flag Football State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Lineups
Riverview’s Babinec signs with USF
Posted Mar 31, 2012 by Bill Ward
Updated Mar 31, 2012 at 05:33 PM
Riverview senior Michael Babinec, an all-state performer last cross country season and a first team member of the Tampa Tribune’s all-Hillsborough County squad, has signed a National Letter of Intent with the University of South Florida.
Babinec said he was also considering the University of Tampa and Florida Southern College but decided on the Bulls for the size of the school and the ability to compete at the Division I level.
“I was looking for a change,” Babinec said. “(Until Riverview), I’ve gone to smaller schools most of my life and I like the idea of going to a big university like USF and running at that level.”
Babinec reached the state cross country meet for the first time last fall and made the most of it. He finished in eighth place overall of the Class 4A finals in a 5-kilometer time of 15 minutes, 57 seconds. His 5k personal record is 15:45.
In track, Babinec has run the 3,200 in 9:46.42 and the 1,600 in 4:30.42 and captured first place in both events at last week’s Western Conference Federal Division meet, which served as one of three qualifiers for Wednesday’s Vernon Korhn Hillsborough County Championships at Jefferson. at Spoto on Wednesday.
Saturday at Hillsborough, Babinec helped the Sharks win the boys team title at the Manuel-Griffin-Frandorfer Relays.
At USF, Babinec will join another state standout, Palmetto Ridge’s Josh Josh Pelletier, as an incoming freshman on the team. Pelletier was 12th in the 3A state championships.