Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Rays pick up pitcher in minor league Rule 5 draft
- Land O’ Lakes cross country stars Travis Nichols, Tyler Stahl commit to North Florida
- Beck staying with Longhorns
- Boys Basketball:FABC/Source Hoops Florida State Poll
- No Kloss? It’s baffling
- Boys Basketball: Robinson’s Brown reaches 1,000 career points
- Bucs’ Gholston a finalist for top weekly rookie honors
- Pasco High TE/DL Bowman Archibald picks up two Division I offers
- Girls Basketball: FABC/Source Hoops State Poll
- Land O’ Lakes boys soccer coach Mark Pearson earns 300th career win
- Manuel signs deal with Panini Authentic
- Panini previews Gold Standard basketball
- Golf: All-Western Conference Teams
- Baseball: Jesuit OF Taylor selects Duke
- Land O’ Lakes defensive standout Shaheed Salmon picks up first offer
Riggans goes on DL
Posted Sep 18, 2008 by Marc Lancaster
Updated Sep 18, 2008 at 08:50 PM
The Rays have placed catcher Shawn Riggans on the 15-day disabled list after he underwent right knee surgery last week.
They probably wouldn’t have bothered last season, but putting Riggans on the DL gives the team some additional flexibility in formulating its postseason roster. Riggans isn’t likely to play again this season as he recovers from the infection that led to the surgery, and the Rays can now use his roster spot to add someone who wasn’t in the majors as of Aug. 31.
They’ll need to do that with at least one player, as neither of the backup catcher options—Michel Hernandez and John Jaso—was with the Rays heading into September.