Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Plant coach Roy Harrison elected to FHSAA Hall of Fame
- Volleyball: Freedom’s Schaller signs with Eckerd
- Five athletes at Strawberry Crest to play at next level
- Sunlake F Remi Pimm named Florida Dairy Farmers State 3A Player of the Year
- Anclote volleyball coach Chris Vergnaud steps down to join PHSC staff
- Hillsborough County’s top seniors take court tonight in TBBCA All-Star game
- Gregory, Corbett, Sanders, Childs, Channer to play in FABC state all-star basketball game
- Rays prepare for raining day - Price now pitching sim game in Port Charlotte
- A year-by-year look at Wrigley Field
- Leaf previews classic designs in Originals football
- All-Western Conference Cheerleading
- Rays v NYY: Ramos makes his pitch
- Miracle Sports Florida State Softball Poll: Week 2
- Ramos now a candidate for 5th starters spot
- Rays @ BoSox: Archer’s first start
Riggans goes on DL
Posted Sep 18, 2008 by Marc Lancaster
Updated Sep 18, 2008 at 08:50 PM
The Rays have placed catcher Shawn Riggans on the 15-day disabled list after he underwent right knee surgery last week.
They probably wouldn’t have bothered last season, but putting Riggans on the DL gives the team some additional flexibility in formulating its postseason roster. Riggans isn’t likely to play again this season as he recovers from the infection that led to the surgery, and the Rays can now use his roster spot to add someone who wasn’t in the majors as of Aug. 31.
They’ll need to do that with at least one player, as neither of the backup catcher options—Michel Hernandez and John Jaso—was with the Rays heading into September.