Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- A fresh, entertaining look at the 1991 World Series
- Plant’s Donahue signs with UF
- Florida High School Softball State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Brrrrrrrrrr
- Five Berkekey Prep student-athletes to be recognized at signing ceremony Wednesday
- Gulf softball coach Rick Hohenthaner resigns after 12 seasons
- Leaf heads to auction with Manziel predictor packs
- Panini provides a look at 2013-14 Signatures basketball product
- Testaverde leads group of seven Jesuit athletes to sign NLI’s Wednesday
- Florida High School Flag Football State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Lineups
- Patchan picks Hurricanes
- Recalling an iconic weekend at the Masters
- Rays @ Reds: Kiermaier starts, Myers, Jennings sit
- Fruhmorgen commits to Clemson
Riggans goes on DL
Posted Sep 18, 2008 by Marc Lancaster
Updated Sep 18, 2008 at 08:50 PM
The Rays have placed catcher Shawn Riggans on the 15-day disabled list after he underwent right knee surgery last week.
They probably wouldn’t have bothered last season, but putting Riggans on the DL gives the team some additional flexibility in formulating its postseason roster. Riggans isn’t likely to play again this season as he recovers from the infection that led to the surgery, and the Rays can now use his roster spot to add someone who wasn’t in the majors as of Aug. 31.
They’ll need to do that with at least one player, as neither of the backup catcher options—Michel Hernandez and John Jaso—was with the Rays heading into September.