Most Recent Entries
- Manuel signs deal with Panini Authentic
- Panini previews Gold Standard basketball
- Golf: All-Western Conference Teams
- Baseball: Jesuit OF Taylor selects Duke
- Land O’ Lakes defensive standout Shaheed Salmon picks up first offer
- Football: All-Western Conference Teams
- Rays non-tender Fuld
- Chargers WR Allen top rookie in Week 12 voting
- Collect call: 2014 Topps U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Team and Hopefuls
- Panini’s Totally Certified hockey to debut in February
- Leaf releases some corny inserts
- Volleyball: Berkeley Prep’s Brown a finalist for Miss Volleyball
- Rays 2014 spring training schedule
- Proposal would ease FHSAA penalty for violating “follow the coach” law
- Maddon’s Thanksmas returns for 8th year
Ridgewood, Gulf penalized by FHSAA
Posted Jan 17, 2013 by Tribune staff
Updated Jan 17, 2013 at 01:41 PM
Ridgewood High was fined $1,150 and reprimanded Wednesday by the Florida High School Athletic Association for its part in an incident that occurred during its game at Gulf on Friday.
Gulf was also reprimanded but was not fined for its role in the incident. However, both schools’ basketball teams remain eligible for the postseason.
The teams also received “restrictive probation’’ until the end of the 2013-14 school year, which in some cases means a ban from postseason play. However, Ridgewood athletic director Tom Wellington said that isn’t the case in this ruling.
Both schools also received “administrative probation’’ until the end of the 2013-14 school year, meaning additional violations during this time will result in harsher penalties. In addition, the basketball teams from both schools must also complete an FHSAA Sportsmanship program.
The penalties stem from a fight that occurred in the bleachers just after the conclusion of the game. According to the the report from the FHSAA provided by the game officials, most of the Ridgewood team and one player from Gulf left their benches and entered the stands.