Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Rays v Yankees: Rodney remains the closer, Jennings off, Joyce back
- Gausman is Bowman’s No. 3 redemption card
- Topps previews baseball Update series
- Panini’s Prime Hockey will have extra treat
- Rays juggle rotation to get Cobb a start this weekend against Yankees
- Beckett opens weekly Wednesday chat room on Facebook page
- Rays @ Jays: Joyce update, Longo DH, Molina returns
- NFL Network report on Revis is revealing
- In The Game acquires Sport Kings LP
- Pasco WR Nate Craig (2016) up to 15 Division I offers
- Tampa Bay softball players honored by FACA
- Western Conference Baseball Teams
- Pasco baseball players Blaine Duncan, Matt Plourde headed to Barry, Daytona State respectively
- Maddon changes stance on Escobar’s home run guesture
- Panini previews Rookies & Stars football
- Bucs Report -Tribune staff
- Rays Report - Roger Mooney
- Bolts Report - Erik Erlendsson
- Bulls Report
- Prep Report - Hillsborough
- Prep Report - Pasco
- Prep Report - Region
- Prep Report - Recruiting Updates
- Prep Report - Football
- Go Fishing: On The Waterfront
- The Sports Bookie - Bob D'Angelo
- Gators Report - Tribune staff
- Youth Sports Report
- NFL Draft Report
- Go Ask: Frank's Tacklebox
- Bucified Bert Blog
- BUK Power - Bucs Fan Blog
- Pigskin Preacher - NFL Fan Blog
- Breakfast Bonus - Tom McEwen
- Highlands Sports
Rhymes selected from Durham, Farnsworth moved to 60-day DL
Posted May 1, 2012 by Roger Mooney
Updated May 1, 2012 at 07:09 PM
ST. PETERSBURG The Rays transferred closer Kyle Farnsworth to the 60-day disabled list to clear from on the 40-man roster for infielder Will Rhymes.
Rhymes was selected from Triple A Durham to replace Evan Longoria in the roster.
Longoria was placed on the disabled list this afternoon with a partial tear in his left hamstring. He is expected to miss six to eight weeks.
The Rays signed Rhymes in January and he was one of the last cuts in spring training. In 22 games for the Bulls, Rhymes hit .231 (.295 against right-handers). Rhymes will help fill the void at third base created by Longoria’s absence.
Farnsworth was placed on the 15-day disabled list on Opening Day because of a right elbow strain. He was expected to begin a throwing program this week.