Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Rays vs Yankees: lineups
- Girls Basketball: Walker, Gregory lead Tampa Bay players on All-State Teams
- A fresh, entertaining look at the 1991 World Series
- Plant’s Donahue signs with UF
- Florida High School Softball State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Brrrrrrrrrr
- Five Berkekey Prep student-athletes to be recognized at signing ceremony Wednesday
- Gulf softball coach Rick Hohenthaner resigns after 12 seasons
- Leaf heads to auction with Manziel predictor packs
- Panini provides a look at 2013-14 Signatures basketball product
- Testaverde leads group of seven Jesuit athletes to sign NLI’s Wednesday
- Florida High School Flag Football State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Lineups
- Patchan picks Hurricanes
- Recalling an iconic weekend at the Masters
Rhymes selected from Durham, Farnsworth moved to 60-day DL
Posted May 1, 2012 by Roger Mooney
Updated May 1, 2012 at 07:09 PM
ST. PETERSBURG The Rays transferred closer Kyle Farnsworth to the 60-day disabled list to clear from on the 40-man roster for infielder Will Rhymes.
Rhymes was selected from Triple A Durham to replace Evan Longoria in the roster.
Longoria was placed on the disabled list this afternoon with a partial tear in his left hamstring. He is expected to miss six to eight weeks.
The Rays signed Rhymes in January and he was one of the last cuts in spring training. In 22 games for the Bulls, Rhymes hit .231 (.295 against right-handers). Rhymes will help fill the void at third base created by Longoria’s absence.
Farnsworth was placed on the 15-day disabled list on Opening Day because of a right elbow strain. He was expected to begin a throwing program this week.