Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Rays @ Yankees: Notes and lineups
- Update on Peralta’s neck
- Rays v Pirates: Moore on the bump, McClung on the bus
- Plant coach Roy Harrison elected to FHSAA Hall of Fame
- Volleyball: Freedom’s Schaller signs with Eckerd
- Five athletes at Strawberry Crest to play at next level
- Sunlake F Remi Pimm named Florida Dairy Farmers State 3A Player of the Year
- Anclote volleyball coach Chris Vergnaud steps down to join PHSC staff
- Hillsborough County’s top seniors take court tonight in TBBCA All-Star game
- Gregory, Corbett, Sanders, Childs, Channer to play in FABC state all-star basketball game
- Rays prepare for raining day - Price now pitching sim game in Port Charlotte
- A year-by-year look at Wrigley Field
- Leaf previews classic designs in Originals football
- All-Western Conference Cheerleading
- Rays v NYY: Ramos makes his pitch
Rhymes selected from Durham, Farnsworth moved to 60-day DL
Posted May 1, 2012 by Roger Mooney
Updated May 1, 2012 at 07:09 PM
ST. PETERSBURG The Rays transferred closer Kyle Farnsworth to the 60-day disabled list to clear from on the 40-man roster for infielder Will Rhymes.
Rhymes was selected from Triple A Durham to replace Evan Longoria in the roster.
Longoria was placed on the disabled list this afternoon with a partial tear in his left hamstring. He is expected to miss six to eight weeks.
The Rays signed Rhymes in January and he was one of the last cuts in spring training. In 22 games for the Bulls, Rhymes hit .231 (.295 against right-handers). Rhymes will help fill the void at third base created by Longoria’s absence.
Farnsworth was placed on the 15-day disabled list on Opening Day because of a right elbow strain. He was expected to begin a throwing program this week.