Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Manuel signs deal with Panini Authentic
- Panini previews Gold Standard basketball
- Golf: All-Western Conference Teams
- Baseball: Jesuit OF Taylor selects Duke
- Land O’ Lakes defensive standout Shaheed Salmon picks up first offer
- Football: All-Western Conference Teams
- Rays non-tender Fuld
- Chargers WR Allen top rookie in Week 12 voting
- Collect call: 2014 Topps U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Team and Hopefuls
- Panini’s Totally Certified hockey to debut in February
- Leaf releases some corny inserts
- Volleyball: Berkeley Prep’s Brown a finalist for Miss Volleyball
- Rays 2014 spring training schedule
- Proposal would ease FHSAA penalty for violating “follow the coach” law
- Maddon’s Thanksmas returns for 8th year
Rhymes selected from Durham, Farnsworth moved to 60-day DL
Posted May 1, 2012 by Roger Mooney
Updated May 1, 2012 at 07:09 PM
ST. PETERSBURG The Rays transferred closer Kyle Farnsworth to the 60-day disabled list to clear from on the 40-man roster for infielder Will Rhymes.
Rhymes was selected from Triple A Durham to replace Evan Longoria in the roster.
Longoria was placed on the disabled list this afternoon with a partial tear in his left hamstring. He is expected to miss six to eight weeks.
The Rays signed Rhymes in January and he was one of the last cuts in spring training. In 22 games for the Bulls, Rhymes hit .231 (.295 against right-handers). Rhymes will help fill the void at third base created by Longoria’s absence.
Farnsworth was placed on the 15-day disabled list on Opening Day because of a right elbow strain. He was expected to begin a throwing program this week.