Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- A fresh, entertaining look at the 1991 World Series
- Plant’s Donahue signs with UF
- Florida High School Softball State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Brrrrrrrrrr
- Five Berkekey Prep student-athletes to be recognized at signing ceremony Wednesday
- Gulf softball coach Rick Hohenthaner resigns after 12 seasons
- Leaf heads to auction with Manziel predictor packs
- Panini provides a look at 2013-14 Signatures basketball product
- Testaverde leads group of seven Jesuit athletes to sign NLI’s Wednesday
- Florida High School Flag Football State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Lineups
- Patchan picks Hurricanes
- Recalling an iconic weekend at the Masters
- Rays @ Reds: Kiermaier starts, Myers, Jennings sit
- Fruhmorgen commits to Clemson
Rays @ Yankees: Old Timers’ Day, notes on Myers slam, lineups
Posted Jun 23, 2013 by Roger Mooney
Updated Jun 23, 2013 at 01:13 PM
NEW YORK Old Timers’ Day at Yankee Stadium, a time honored tradition.
Rays Joe Maddon was anxious to go see some of the game and say hello to Yogi Berra. A number of Rays players watched from the dugout.
Wil Myers and Matt Moore took pictures with their phones. Moore then threw his bullpen session while the old timers played.
Former Devil Rays manager, Lou Piniella, one of the most popular players to ever don the pinstripes, singled to left field.
As for the current timers, the Rays will try to salvage the final game of this series with the Yankees and the finale of this seven-game road trip through Boston and New York.
Chris Archer starts for the Rays against Ivan Nova. Nova is 4-0 lifetime at home against the Rays.
Wil Myers is in right field. He is the first Ray to begin his career with six RBI in his first six games.
Some additional notes on his grand slam Saturday off CC Sabathia:
Myers is the first player whose first career home run was a grand slam off a former Cy Young Award winner.
He is the 187 player to his a grand slam for his first big league home run. Also on that list is Tim Unroe, father of Riley Unroe, the Rays second round pick.
Here are the lineups:
Archer RHP (1-3, 5.03)
Nova RHP (2-1, 5.16)