Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Boys Basketball: Robinson’s Brown reaches 1,000 career points
- Bucs’ Gholston a finalist for top weekly rookie honors
- Pasco High TE/DL Bowman Archibald picks up two Division I offers
- Girls Basketball: FABC/Source Hoops State Poll
- Land O’ Lakes boys soccer coach Mark Pearson earns 300th career win
- Manuel signs deal with Panini Authentic
- Panini previews Gold Standard basketball
- Golf: All-Western Conference Teams
- Baseball: Jesuit OF Taylor selects Duke
- Land O’ Lakes defensive standout Shaheed Salmon picks up first offer
- Football: All-Western Conference Teams
- Rays non-tender Fuld
- Chargers WR Allen top rookie in Week 12 voting
- Collect call: 2014 Topps U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Team and Hopefuls
- Panini’s Totally Certified hockey to debut in February
Rays will make Beckham top pick
Posted Jun 5, 2008 by Marc Lancaster
Updated Jun 5, 2008 at 10:19 AM
The Rays plan to make Tim Beckham the top overall pick in today’s draft.
The Griffin (Ga.) High shortstop will be the Rays’ first high school selection with their No. 1 pick since Delmon Young (who also went first overall) in 2003.
As of last night, the Rays said they were down to Beckham and Florida State catcher Buster Posey. Of the two, Posey was considered the “safer” pick and the player closer to the majors but Beckham was seen as having a higher ceiling, with more potential to become a star player.