Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Five Berkekey Prep student-athletes to be recognized at signing ceremony Wednesday
- Gulf softball coach Rick Hohenthaner resigns after 12 seasons
- Leaf heads to auction with Manziel predictor packs
- Panini provides a look at 2013-14 Signatures basketball product
- Testaverde leads group of seven Jesuit athletes to sign NLI’s Wednesday
- Florida High School Flag Football State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Lineups
- Patchan picks Hurricanes
- Recalling an iconic weekend at the Masters
- Rays @ Reds: Kiermaier starts, Myers, Jennings sit
- Fruhmorgen commits to Clemson
- Boys Basketball: Jean, Ingram make 7A All-State Team
- Florida High School Softball State Poll
- Aaron auto is mystery redemption card No. 1 for 2014 Topps Tribute
- Bishop McLaughlin names assistant Craig Moore as its head football coach
Rays @ White Sox: No Escobar, but Rays have Moore
Posted Apr 27, 2013 by Roger Mooney
Updated Apr 27, 2013 at 05:52 PM
CHICAGO SS Yunel Escobar’s right hamstring is improving but there is still enough tightness to keep him out of the lineup for a third day and more than likely a fourth.
Rays manager Joe Maddon said it’s possible Escobar, who hasn’t played the first two games of this series, may not return to the lineup until Tuesday when the Rays open a three-game series in Kansas City against the Royals.
Matt Moore will attempt to become the first pitcher in team history to win five games during the month of April. He takes the mound tonight as the major league’s ERA leader at 1.04.
Desmond Jennings returns to the lineup in his familiar spot at the top. Matt Joyce, who had a home run and an RBI single while batting leadoff in Friday’s loss, drops down to No. 2.
The Rays are looking for third road victory this season. They are 2-9 away from the Trop, including 0-2 on this 10-game road trip.
Here are the lineups:
Moore LHP (4-0, 1.04)
De Aza LF
Floyd RHP (0-3, 4.98)