Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Land O’ Lakes boys soccer coach Mark Pearson picks up 300th career win
- Manuel signs deal with Panini Authentic
- Panini previews Gold Standard basketball
- Golf: All-Western Conference Teams
- Baseball: Jesuit OF Taylor selects Duke
- Land O’ Lakes defensive standout Shaheed Salmon picks up first offer
- Football: All-Western Conference Teams
- Rays non-tender Fuld
- Chargers WR Allen top rookie in Week 12 voting
- Collect call: 2014 Topps U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Team and Hopefuls
- Panini’s Totally Certified hockey to debut in February
- Leaf releases some corny inserts
- Volleyball: Berkeley Prep’s Brown a finalist for Miss Volleyball
- Rays 2014 spring training schedule
- Proposal would ease FHSAA penalty for violating “follow the coach” law
Rays vs. Jays
Posted Mar 30, 2011 by Roger Mooney
Updated Mar 30, 2011 at 02:18 PM
Tropicana Field’s AstroTurf is bit greener than the FieldTurf that was replaced during the offseason
BY ROGER MOONEY
ST. PETERSBURG – How great is it to read St. Petersburg and not Port Charlotte as the dateline?
Nothing against Port Charlotte. It’s a nice town for spring training.
But we’re back in St. Petersburg and under the dome for the Grapefruit League finale between the Rays and the Blue Jays.
The game counts toward the spring schedule so the Rays have a chance to finish a game above .500
The new AstroTurf is greener. The red, white and blue bunting is in place for Friday’s season-opener.
Manny Ramirez is not here today for personal reasons.
The Rays set their roster today. No surprises.
Here is the Rays lineup:
Dan Johnson 1B
Elliot Johnson SS