Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Rays v Pirates: Moore on the bump, McClung on the bus
- Plant coach Roy Harrison elected to FHSAA Hall of Fame
- Volleyball: Freedom’s Schaller signs with Eckerd
- Five athletes at Strawberry Crest to play at next level
- Sunlake F Remi Pimm named Florida Dairy Farmers State 3A Player of the Year
- Anclote volleyball coach Chris Vergnaud steps down to join PHSC staff
- Hillsborough County’s top seniors take court tonight in TBBCA All-Star game
- Gregory, Corbett, Sanders, Childs, Channer to play in FABC state all-star basketball game
- Rays prepare for raining day - Price now pitching sim game in Port Charlotte
- A year-by-year look at Wrigley Field
- Leaf previews classic designs in Originals football
- All-Western Conference Cheerleading
- Rays v NYY: Ramos makes his pitch
- Miracle Sports Florida State Softball Poll: Week 2
- Ramos now a candidate for 5th starters spot
Rays vs. Jays: Sweep?
Posted Aug 9, 2012 by Joey Johnston
Updated Aug 9, 2012 at 11:51 AM
ST. PETERSBURG—Greetings from Tropicana Field, where the Rays are going for a three-game sweep against the Toronto Blue Jays. Game time is 1:10 p.m. (no TV, stay with us on Twitter, JJohnstonTrib for updates).
Rays rookie LHP Matt Moore (8-7, 3.84 ERA) will oppose Blue Jays RHP Henderson Alvarez (7-8, 4.47 ERA). Wednesday’s 3-2 victory assured Tampa Bay’s 16th consecutive home series victory against the Blue Jays (amazing!).
Some Thursday morning housekeeping:
* Evan Longoria, making his third straight start after returning from injury, is in the Rays’ lineup, batting cleanup at DH. Makes sense. Longoria is 4-for-6 with two home runs against Alvarez.
* DH Luke Scott (oblique) took some high-intensity batting practice and says he feels good. He might being a rehabilitation stint as soon as Friday. Stay tuned on that.
* Interesting quirk in the lineup. Ben Zobrist is at SS for the first time since 2009, when he played 13 games there. Zobrist came to the Rays as a shortstop in 2006, but has largely played 2B and OF the last few years. Zobrist said it wasn’t a big deal, he was willing to anything for the team and said it would be “like riding a bike.’’ Before the game, though, he did head to the field for some grounders at short. Good idea to get used to that bike again.
After today, the Rays go on a three-city road trip, beginning with the opener in Minnesota on Friday night.
Rajai Davis LF
Colby Rasmus CF
Edwin Encarnacion 1B
Yunel Escobar SS
David Cooper DH
Moises Sierra RF
Jeff Mathis C
Omar Vizquel 2B
Adeiny Hechavarria 3B
Henderson Alvarez RHP
Sam Fuld LF
B.J. Upton CF
Matt Joyce RF
Evan Longoria DH
Ben Zobrist SS
Carlos Pena 1B
Jeff Keppinger 3B
Ryan Roberts 2B
Jose Lobaton C
Matt Moore LHP