Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Manuel signs deal with Panini Authentic
- Panini previews Gold Standard basketball
- Golf: All-Western Conference Teams
- Baseball: Jesuit OF Taylor selects Duke
- Land O’ Lakes defensive standout Shaheed Salmon picks up first offer
- Football: All-Western Conference Teams
- Rays non-tender Fuld
- Chargers WR Allen top rookie in Week 12 voting
- Collect call: 2014 Topps U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Team and Hopefuls
- Panini’s Totally Certified hockey to debut in February
- Leaf releases some corny inserts
- Volleyball: Berkeley Prep’s Brown a finalist for Miss Volleyball
- Rays 2014 spring training schedule
- Proposal would ease FHSAA penalty for violating “follow the coach” law
- Maddon’s Thanksmas returns for 8th year
Rays vs. Jays: Scott update, lineups
Posted Aug 8, 2012 by Roger Mooney
Updated Aug 8, 2012 at 05:32 PM
ST. PETERSBURG The Rays look to make it two straight wins tonight with Evan Longoria back in the lineup.
Tuesday’s return of the third baseman-turned-designated hitter was a success, a 4-1 victory in which the Rays snapped a 22-inning scoreless streak and James Shields earned his 10th win of the season.
The Rays are 7-2 this season against the Blue Jays and have won 15 consecutive series against the Jays at the Trop. But, the Rays have won just one of their past six series at the Trop.
DH Luke Scott (strained oblique) needs one more day before heading out on a minor league rehab assignment. He will crank up the velocity Thursday inside the batting cage and see how his oblique responds to that. If it’s good, he’s out the door and playing Friday.
Here are the lineups:
Villanueva RHP (6-1, 3.19)
Cobb RHP (5-8, 4.60)