Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Plant coach Roy Harrison elected to FHSAA Hall of Fame
- Volleyball: Freedom’s Schaller signs with Eckerd
- Five athletes at Strawberry Crest to play at next level
- Sunlake F Remi Pimm named Florida Dairy Farmers State 3A Player of the Year
- Anclote volleyball coach Chris Vergnaud steps down to join PHSC staff
- Hillsborough County’s top seniors take court tonight in TBBCA All-Star game
- Gregory, Corbett, Sanders, Childs, Channer to play in FABC state all-star basketball game
- Rays prepare for raining day - Price now pitching sim game in Port Charlotte
- A year-by-year look at Wrigley Field
- Leaf previews classic designs in Originals football
- All-Western Conference Cheerleading
- Rays v NYY: Ramos makes his pitch
- Miracle Sports Florida State Softball Poll: Week 2
- Ramos now a candidate for 5th starters spot
- Rays @ BoSox: Archer’s first start
Rays vs. BoSox: Cobb to bereavement , Odorizzi recalled
Posted Jun 11, 2013 by Roger Mooney
Updated Jun 11, 2013 at 05:45 PM
ST. PETERSBURG The Rays placed RHP Alex Cobb on the three-day bereavement list because of the death of his grandmother and recalled RHP Jake Odorizzi to take his place on the roster.
Odorizzi is a fresh arm for a bullpen that picked up 10 innings in Monday’s 14-inning loss to the Red Sox. He could be used in long relief tonight should starter RHP Roberto Hernandez run into trouble.
As for last night, Matt Joyce was still upset over being hit in the back by a pitch from John Lackey. Lackey said he was just trying to pitch inside. Joyce said it was in retaliation for Joyce dropping his bat while hitting a long foul ball on a 3-0 count earlier in the game.
Joyce also said he was upset with the aggressiveness of Boston catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia when the benches cleared.
In other news, Kyle Farnsworth, who left last night’s game with pain his right elbow today, is OK. He played catch this afternoon with Jamey Wright.
Desmond Jennings is back at leadoff, but Rays manager Joe Maddon said that’s only temporary. The Red Sox are throwing lefty Jon Lester.
Here are the lineups:
Lester LHP (6-2, 3.60)
Hernandez RHP (3-6, 5.03)