Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Manuel signs deal with Panini Authentic
- Panini previews Gold Standard basketball
- Golf: All-Western Conference Teams
- Baseball: Jesuit OF Taylor selects Duke
- Land O’ Lakes defensive standout Shaheed Salmon picks up first offer
- Football: All-Western Conference Teams
- Rays non-tender Fuld
- Chargers WR Allen top rookie in Week 12 voting
- Collect call: 2014 Topps U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Team and Hopefuls
- Panini’s Totally Certified hockey to debut in February
- Leaf releases some corny inserts
- Volleyball: Berkeley Prep’s Brown a finalist for Miss Volleyball
- Rays 2014 spring training schedule
- Proposal would ease FHSAA penalty for violating “follow the coach” law
- Maddon’s Thanksmas returns for 8th year
Rays vs. BoSox: Cobb to bereavement , Odorizzi recalled
Posted Jun 11, 2013 by Roger Mooney
Updated Jun 11, 2013 at 05:45 PM
ST. PETERSBURG The Rays placed RHP Alex Cobb on the three-day bereavement list because of the death of his grandmother and recalled RHP Jake Odorizzi to take his place on the roster.
Odorizzi is a fresh arm for a bullpen that picked up 10 innings in Monday’s 14-inning loss to the Red Sox. He could be used in long relief tonight should starter RHP Roberto Hernandez run into trouble.
As for last night, Matt Joyce was still upset over being hit in the back by a pitch from John Lackey. Lackey said he was just trying to pitch inside. Joyce said it was in retaliation for Joyce dropping his bat while hitting a long foul ball on a 3-0 count earlier in the game.
Joyce also said he was upset with the aggressiveness of Boston catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia when the benches cleared.
In other news, Kyle Farnsworth, who left last night’s game with pain his right elbow today, is OK. He played catch this afternoon with Jamey Wright.
Desmond Jennings is back at leadoff, but Rays manager Joe Maddon said that’s only temporary. The Red Sox are throwing lefty Jon Lester.
Here are the lineups:
Lester LHP (6-2, 3.60)
Hernandez RHP (3-6, 5.03)