Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- A fresh, entertaining look at the 1991 World Series
- Plant’s Donahue signs with UF
- Florida High School Softball State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Brrrrrrrrrr
- Five Berkekey Prep student-athletes to be recognized at signing ceremony Wednesday
- Gulf softball coach Rick Hohenthaner resigns after 12 seasons
- Leaf heads to auction with Manziel predictor packs
- Panini provides a look at 2013-14 Signatures basketball product
- Testaverde leads group of seven Jesuit athletes to sign NLI’s Wednesday
- Florida High School Flag Football State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Lineups
- Patchan picks Hurricanes
- Recalling an iconic weekend at the Masters
- Rays @ Reds: Kiermaier starts, Myers, Jennings sit
- Fruhmorgen commits to Clemson
Rays vs Tigers and Rays @ Twins
Posted Mar 8, 2012 by Roger Mooney
Updated Mar 8, 2012 at 10:34 AM
PORT CHARLOTTE The Rays have their only split squad day of the spring today when half the team stays back to play the visiting Tigers and the other half heads to Fort Myers to play – who else? – the Twins.
LHP David Price is scheduled to start against the Tigers and is expected to go three innings. RHP Jeremy Hellickson will follow Price and is scheduled for three innings.
RHP Chris Archer faces the Twins.
1B Carlos Peña is making the trip to Fort Myers, an unusual move for a veteran. But Peña said it’s because he and bench coach Dave Martinez, who will manage the travel squad, are tight.
C Stephen Vogt, who is making waves in camp with his bat (.545 batting average), starts against the Twins.
LHP Jake McGee, sidelined with a bruised elbow, will follow Archer and make his spring debut.
The Tigers are bringing RF Brennan Boesch, 3B Miguel Cabrera, DH Alex Avila and LF Delmon Young.
Here are the Rays lineups: