Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Manuel signs deal with Panini Authentic
- Panini previews Gold Standard basketball
- Golf: All-Western Conference Teams
- Baseball: Jesuit OF Taylor selects Duke
- Land O’ Lakes defensive standout Shaheed Salmon picks up first offer
- Football: All-Western Conference Teams
- Rays non-tender Fuld
- Chargers WR Allen top rookie in Week 12 voting
- Collect call: 2014 Topps U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Team and Hopefuls
- Panini’s Totally Certified hockey to debut in February
- Leaf releases some corny inserts
- Volleyball: Berkeley Prep’s Brown a finalist for Miss Volleyball
- Rays 2014 spring training schedule
- Proposal would ease FHSAA penalty for violating “follow the coach” law
- Maddon’s Thanksmas returns for 8th year
Rays v. Yankees: Rodney remains confident
Posted May 26, 2013 by Roger Mooney
Updated May 26, 2013 at 12:38 PM
ST. PETERSBURG The Rays will try to salvage the final game of this three-game series with the Yankees this afternoon at the Trop.
The Rays have dropped three straight overall and a season-high four straight at home – two to the Red Sox and two to the Yankees.
They appeared to have Saturday’s game locked up, but Fernando Rodney blew his fifth save after being one strike away from nailing down the win on two occasions. Instead of a 3-1 victory, the Rays lost 4-3 in 11 innings.
Rays manager Joe Maddon said he still has confidence in Rodney, and Rodney said this morning he’s ready to close out today’s game if the situation arises in the ninth inning.
Rodney said he hasn’t lost confidence. “Come the next day, try again,” he said.
Alex Cobb, moved up one day to face the Yankees, will be opposed by CC Sabathia.
Here are the lineups:
Sabathia LHP (4-3, 3.43)
Loney 1 B
Cobb RHP (5-2, 2.73)