Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Manuel signs deal with Panini Authentic
- Panini previews Gold Standard basketball
- Golf: All-Western Conference Teams
- Baseball: Jesuit OF Taylor selects Duke
- Land O’ Lakes defensive standout Shaheed Salmon picks up first offer
- Football: All-Western Conference Teams
- Rays non-tender Fuld
- Chargers WR Allen top rookie in Week 12 voting
- Collect call: 2014 Topps U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Team and Hopefuls
- Panini’s Totally Certified hockey to debut in February
- Leaf releases some corny inserts
- Volleyball: Berkeley Prep’s Brown a finalist for Miss Volleyball
- Rays 2014 spring training schedule
- Proposal would ease FHSAA penalty for violating “follow the coach” law
- Maddon’s Thanksmas returns for 8th year
Rays v Yankees: A matchup of lefties to start the series
Posted Apr 22, 2013 by Roger Mooney
Updated Apr 22, 2013 at 05:12 PM
ST. PETERSBURG The Yankees make their first trip to the Trop tonight for the beginning of a three-game series.
New Bucs cornerback Darrelle Revis will throw out the first pitch.
Matt Moore (3-0, 1.00 ERA) will face CC Sabathia (3-1, 2.57) in a matchup of lefties.
The Rays are coming off their first series sweep of the season, having taken three from the A’s over the weekend. The suddenly homer happy Rays have homered in seven straight games after hitting only four homers through their first 11 games.
Rays manager Joe Maddon juggled his lineup once again, moving SS Yunel Escobar from ninth to sixth. 1B Sean Rodriguez will hit fifth for the first time this season. 2B Ryan Roberts gets another start and is batting second for the third straight game.
Here are the lineups:
Sabathia LHP (3-1, 2.57)
Moore LHP (3-0, 1.00)