Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Manuel signs deal with Panini Authentic
- Panini previews Gold Standard basketball
- Golf: All-Western Conference Teams
- Baseball: Jesuit OF Taylor selects Duke
- Land O’ Lakes defensive standout Shaheed Salmon picks up first offer
- Football: All-Western Conference Teams
- Rays non-tender Fuld
- Chargers WR Allen top rookie in Week 12 voting
- Collect call: 2014 Topps U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Team and Hopefuls
- Panini’s Totally Certified hockey to debut in February
- Leaf releases some corny inserts
- Volleyball: Berkeley Prep’s Brown a finalist for Miss Volleyball
- Rays 2014 spring training schedule
- Proposal would ease FHSAA penalty for violating “follow the coach” law
- Maddon’s Thanksmas returns for 8th year
Rays v Yankees: A day for the birds
Posted Apr 23, 2013 by Roger Mooney
Updated Apr 23, 2013 at 05:21 PM
ST. PETERSBURG Today’s pregame entertainment came in the form of Mindy, a 22-year-old Umbrella Cockatoo, who sat perched on Joe Maddon’s arm as he walked through the Rays clubhouse.
Later, Mindy sat on Maddon’s shoulder during his pregame media session.
Tomorrow’s guest will also be from the animal kingdom and will be epic, Maddon promised.
As for tonight, David Price takes the hill against the Yankees looking for his first win of the season.
The Rays have won four straight and are one-game under .500.
Tonight’s lineup was picked by the Tampa Chamber of Commerce. The Rays are 2-0 when the Tampa CC picks the lineups.
Here are the lineups for tonight’s game:
Hughes RHP (0-2, 6.43)
Price LHP (0-1, 6.26)