Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- A fresh, entertaining look at the 1991 World Series
- Plant’s Donahue signs with UF
- Florida High School Softball State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Brrrrrrrrrr
- Five Berkekey Prep student-athletes to be recognized at signing ceremony Wednesday
- Gulf softball coach Rick Hohenthaner resigns after 12 seasons
- Leaf heads to auction with Manziel predictor packs
- Panini provides a look at 2013-14 Signatures basketball product
- Testaverde leads group of seven Jesuit athletes to sign NLI’s Wednesday
- Florida High School Flag Football State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Lineups
- Patchan picks Hurricanes
- Recalling an iconic weekend at the Masters
- Rays @ Reds: Kiermaier starts, Myers, Jennings sit
- Fruhmorgen commits to Clemson
Rays v White Sox: Longo returns to 3B
Posted Jul 5, 2013 by Roger Mooney
Updated Jul 5, 2013 at 05:47 PM
ST. PETERSBURG The Rays open a 10-game homestand tonight with the White Sox (34-48). It is part of their run through the soft underbelly of the AL scheduled that includes four games with the Twins and three more with the Astros.
Evan Longoria returns to third base tonight. Ben Zobrist, struggling through a 1-for-19 slide, has the night off.
Alex Cobb threw his first bullpen since taking a line drive off the right side of his head June 15. He said he felt fine. No timetable for his return, though Cobb did say he passed the first round of his concussion tests.
Here are tonight’s lineups:
De Aza LF
Axelrod RHP (3-4, 4.57)
Hellickson RHP (7-3, 4.90)