Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Rays v Pirates: Moore on the bump, McClung on the bus
- Plant coach Roy Harrison elected to FHSAA Hall of Fame
- Volleyball: Freedom’s Schaller signs with Eckerd
- Five athletes at Strawberry Crest to play at next level
- Sunlake F Remi Pimm named Florida Dairy Farmers State 3A Player of the Year
- Anclote volleyball coach Chris Vergnaud steps down to join PHSC staff
- Hillsborough County’s top seniors take court tonight in TBBCA All-Star game
- Gregory, Corbett, Sanders, Childs, Channer to play in FABC state all-star basketball game
- Rays prepare for raining day - Price now pitching sim game in Port Charlotte
- A year-by-year look at Wrigley Field
- Leaf previews classic designs in Originals football
- All-Western Conference Cheerleading
- Rays v NYY: Ramos makes his pitch
- Miracle Sports Florida State Softball Poll: Week 2
- Ramos now a candidate for 5th starters spot
Rays v Twins: Niemann goes for first ‘W’
Posted Apr 22, 2012 by Roger Mooney
Updated Apr 22, 2012 at 12:17 PM
ST. PETERSBURG Though they are one game above .500, the Rays are off to one of their best starts in team history.
Their 8-7 mark heading into today’s game with the visiting Twins is tied with the 1999 team for their third-best start through 15 games. They 2010 Rays won 11 of their first 15. The 1998 team started 9-6.
The Rays are also 4-1 at the Trop this season, marking the best home start in team history.
Jeff Niemann takes the hill today looking for his first win of the season. He is 3-0 in his career against the Twins.
Twins starter Francisco Liriano, also looking for his first victory of 2012, is 2-2 in seven career starts against the Rays.
Here are the lineups:
Liriano LHP (0-2, 11.91 ERA)
Niemann RHP (0-2, 4.50)