Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- A fresh, entertaining look at the 1991 World Series
- Plant’s Donahue signs with UF
- Florida High School Softball State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Brrrrrrrrrr
- Five Berkekey Prep student-athletes to be recognized at signing ceremony Wednesday
- Gulf softball coach Rick Hohenthaner resigns after 12 seasons
- Leaf heads to auction with Manziel predictor packs
- Panini provides a look at 2013-14 Signatures basketball product
- Testaverde leads group of seven Jesuit athletes to sign NLI’s Wednesday
- Florida High School Flag Football State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Lineups
- Patchan picks Hurricanes
- Recalling an iconic weekend at the Masters
- Rays @ Reds: Kiermaier starts, Myers, Jennings sit
- Fruhmorgen commits to Clemson
Rays v Twins: Niemann goes for first ‘W’
Posted Apr 22, 2012 by Roger Mooney
Updated Apr 22, 2012 at 12:17 PM
ST. PETERSBURG Though they are one game above .500, the Rays are off to one of their best starts in team history.
Their 8-7 mark heading into today’s game with the visiting Twins is tied with the 1999 team for their third-best start through 15 games. They 2010 Rays won 11 of their first 15. The 1998 team started 9-6.
The Rays are also 4-1 at the Trop this season, marking the best home start in team history.
Jeff Niemann takes the hill today looking for his first win of the season. He is 3-0 in his career against the Twins.
Twins starter Francisco Liriano, also looking for his first victory of 2012, is 2-2 in seven career starts against the Rays.
Here are the lineups:
Liriano LHP (0-2, 11.91 ERA)
Niemann RHP (0-2, 4.50)