Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Rays @ O’s: Brrrrrrrrrr
- Five Berkekey Prep student-athletes to be recognized at signing ceremony Wednesday
- Gulf softball coach Rick Hohenthaner resigns after 12 seasons
- Leaf heads to auction with Manziel predictor packs
- Panini provides a look at 2013-14 Signatures basketball product
- Testaverde leads group of seven Jesuit athletes to sign NLI’s Wednesday
- Florida High School Flag Football State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Lineups
- Patchan picks Hurricanes
- Recalling an iconic weekend at the Masters
- Rays @ Reds: Kiermaier starts, Myers, Jennings sit
- Fruhmorgen commits to Clemson
- Boys Basketball: Jean, Ingram make 7A All-State Team
- Florida High School Softball State Poll
- Aaron auto is mystery redemption card No. 1 for 2014 Topps Tribute
Rays v Twins: An over the hill birthday greeting for Peralta
Posted Mar 23, 2013 by Roger Mooney
Updated Mar 23, 2013 at 09:00 AM
PORT CHARLOTTE Today is Joel Peralta’s 37th birthday, and the Rays pitcher was greeted by a banner hanging above his locker that read, “Look Who’s Over the Hill,” and other items that were scattered about suggesting he is old.
David Price tweeted a picture of the scene and wrote that it is old timer’s day at the field.
Speaking of Price, he makes his sixth start of the spring this afternoon against the visiting Twins. It’s his first against a big league club since he threw four innings against the Phillies in March 8.
Price has since pitched in a pair of minor league games. The last didn’t go too well. It was raining and the mound was slippery and Price pulled himself from the game after one inning and finished his work on a mound inside the batting cages at Charlotte Sports Park.
With the possible exception of Jose Molina replacing Jose Lobaton the Rays are fielding what could be their Opening Day lineup this afternoon.
Here is the lineup: