Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Manuel signs deal with Panini Authentic
- Panini previews Gold Standard basketball
- Golf: All-Western Conference Teams
- Baseball: Jesuit OF Taylor selects Duke
- Land O’ Lakes defensive standout Shaheed Salmon picks up first offer
- Football: All-Western Conference Teams
- Rays non-tender Fuld
- Chargers WR Allen top rookie in Week 12 voting
- Collect call: 2014 Topps U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Team and Hopefuls
- Panini’s Totally Certified hockey to debut in February
- Leaf releases some corny inserts
- Volleyball: Berkeley Prep’s Brown a finalist for Miss Volleyball
- Rays 2014 spring training schedule
- Proposal would ease FHSAA penalty for violating “follow the coach” law
- Maddon’s Thanksmas returns for 8th year
Rays v Twins: An over the hill birthday greeting for Peralta
Posted Mar 23, 2013 by Roger Mooney
Updated Mar 23, 2013 at 09:00 AM
PORT CHARLOTTE Today is Joel Peralta’s 37th birthday, and the Rays pitcher was greeted by a banner hanging above his locker that read, “Look Who’s Over the Hill,” and other items that were scattered about suggesting he is old.
David Price tweeted a picture of the scene and wrote that it is old timer’s day at the field.
Speaking of Price, he makes his sixth start of the spring this afternoon against the visiting Twins. It’s his first against a big league club since he threw four innings against the Phillies in March 8.
Price has since pitched in a pair of minor league games. The last didn’t go too well. It was raining and the mound was slippery and Price pulled himself from the game after one inning and finished his work on a mound inside the batting cages at Charlotte Sports Park.
With the possible exception of Jose Molina replacing Jose Lobaton the Rays are fielding what could be their Opening Day lineup this afternoon.
Here is the lineup: