Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Panini goes on a basketball Crusade
- Sunlake’s Remi Pimm named Florida Dairy Farmers’ 2014 Mr. Soccer
- Rays v Twins: Injury updates and lineups
- Novel explores temptations, ramifications of steroid use
- Rays @ BoSox: Lineups and injury updates
- Rays @ Yankees: Notes and lineups
- Update on Peralta’s neck
- Rays v Pirates: Moore on the bump, McClung on the bus
- Plant coach Roy Harrison elected to FHSAA Hall of Fame
- Volleyball: Freedom’s Schaller signs with Eckerd
- Five athletes at Strawberry Crest to play at next level
- Sunlake F Remi Pimm named Florida Dairy Farmers State 3A Player of the Year
- Anclote volleyball coach Chris Vergnaud steps down to join PHSC staff
- Hillsborough County’s top seniors take court tonight in TBBCA All-Star game
- Gregory, Corbett, Sanders, Childs, Channer to play in FABC state all-star basketball game
Rays v Tigers: Scott update, a gong at the Trop, Anderson wins Al Lopez Award
Posted Mar 30, 2013 by Roger Mooney
Updated Mar 30, 2013 at 11:07 AM
ST. PETERSBURG The Rays and Tigers meet at the Trop this afternoon for the final game of the spring.
The Rays are waiting for Luke Scott to be examined by team physician Dr. Koco Eaton this afternoon before making a determination on his status for Opening Day, but manager Joe Maddon said he would be surprised if Scott did not begin the year on the disabled list.
Maddon said Friday’s MRI on Scott’s right calf showed a small strain. “Nothing that looked too severe,” Maddon said.
Still the Rays are formulating other plans to cover the oft-injured Scott.
The length of Scott’s stay on the DL will determine who comes up. If it’s short, the Rays will bring up someone on the 40-man roster. If they think Scott will miss more than a few weeks, look for Shelley Duncan.
Scott’s DL stint will be retroactive to March 24, meaning he is eligible to be activated April 8. At the very least Scott will miss the first week of the season. If recent history is any indication Scott will be out longer than that, since he spent a total of 45 days last season on the DL for two separate injuries.
In other news, there is a gong down the right field foul line up against the back wall. Some one will ring it before each game as the Rays take the field to “Bang a Gong,” the song made popular by T. Rex in 1971.
OF/1B Leslie Anderson was named the winner of the Al Lopez Award, giving annually to the top rookie in camp. Anderson led the team with a .396 average and drove in 12 runs.
Matt Moore will pitch for innings today and will be followed by a parade of relievers – Jamey Wright, Kyle Farnsworth, Joel Peralta, Jake McGee and Fernando Rodney.
Sam Fuld was in the lineup but was scratched after BP because of an upset stomach. Sean Rodriguez will take his place.
Here is the Rays lineup: