Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Plant coach Roy Harrison elected to FHSAA Hall of Fame
- Volleyball: Freedom’s Schaller signs with Eckerd
- Five athletes at Strawberry Crest to play at next level
- Sunlake F Remi Pimm named Florida Dairy Farmers State 3A Player of the Year
- Anclote volleyball coach Chris Vergnaud steps down to join PHSC staff
- Hillsborough County’s top seniors take court tonight in TBBCA All-Star game
- Gregory, Corbett, Sanders, Childs, Channer to play in FABC state all-star basketball game
- Rays prepare for raining day - Price now pitching sim game in Port Charlotte
- A year-by-year look at Wrigley Field
- Leaf previews classic designs in Originals football
- All-Western Conference Cheerleading
- Rays v NYY: Ramos makes his pitch
- Miracle Sports Florida State Softball Poll: Week 2
- Ramos now a candidate for 5th starters spot
- Rays @ BoSox: Archer’s first start
Rays v Royals: Longo, Pena sit
Posted Aug 20, 2012 by Roger Mooney
Updated Aug 20, 2012 at 04:41 PM
ST. PETERSBURG The lads are drifting into the clubhouse this afternoon, a late report after flying back Sunday night from Southern California.
“We didn’t get in too late,” David Price said. “I was able to get Taco Bell before I went home.”
So, the Rays follow up an unbelievable 8-2 road trip with a six-game homestand that begins tonight against the Royals.
Evan Longoria is not in the starting lineup. Ben Zobrist will serve as the DH.
Carlos Peña also won’t start against Royals lefty Will Smith, a rookie who is facing the Rays for the first time.
Jeremy Hellickson, who flew home Saturday, takes the mound for the Rays looking for his first win at the Trop since beating the Red Sox on May 16. He is winless with a 5.45 ERA in his last seven starts at the Trop.
Also, DH Luke Scott said he expects to be activated from the DL on Tuesday.
Here is the Rays lineup: