Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Beck staying with Longhorns
- Boys Basketball:FABC/Source Hoops Florida State Poll
- No Kloss? It’s baffling
- Boys Basketball: Robinson’s Brown reaches 1,000 career points
- Bucs’ Gholston a finalist for top weekly rookie honors
- Pasco High TE/DL Bowman Archibald picks up two Division I offers
- Girls Basketball: FABC/Source Hoops State Poll
- Land O’ Lakes boys soccer coach Mark Pearson earns 300th career win
- Manuel signs deal with Panini Authentic
- Panini previews Gold Standard basketball
- Golf: All-Western Conference Teams
- Baseball: Jesuit OF Taylor selects Duke
- Land O’ Lakes defensive standout Shaheed Salmon picks up first offer
- Football: All-Western Conference Teams
- Rays non-tender Fuld
Rays v Royals: Longo, Pena sit
Posted Aug 20, 2012 by Roger Mooney
Updated Aug 20, 2012 at 04:41 PM
ST. PETERSBURG The lads are drifting into the clubhouse this afternoon, a late report after flying back Sunday night from Southern California.
“We didn’t get in too late,” David Price said. “I was able to get Taco Bell before I went home.”
So, the Rays follow up an unbelievable 8-2 road trip with a six-game homestand that begins tonight against the Royals.
Evan Longoria is not in the starting lineup. Ben Zobrist will serve as the DH.
Carlos Peña also won’t start against Royals lefty Will Smith, a rookie who is facing the Rays for the first time.
Jeremy Hellickson, who flew home Saturday, takes the mound for the Rays looking for his first win at the Trop since beating the Red Sox on May 16. He is winless with a 5.45 ERA in his last seven starts at the Trop.
Also, DH Luke Scott said he expects to be activated from the DL on Tuesday.
Here is the Rays lineup: