Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Rays v Yanks: Nova to DL, Teixeira returns, updates on Cobb, Helly, DJ and lineups
- Rays v Yankees: Jennings out with groin injury
- Rays vs Yankees: lineups
- Girls Basketball: Walker, Gregory lead Tampa Bay players on All-State Teams
- A fresh, entertaining look at the 1991 World Series
- Plant’s Donahue signs with UF
- Florida High School Softball State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Brrrrrrrrrr
- Five Berkekey Prep student-athletes to be recognized at signing ceremony Wednesday
- Gulf softball coach Rick Hohenthaner resigns after 12 seasons
- Leaf heads to auction with Manziel predictor packs
- Panini provides a look at 2013-14 Signatures basketball product
- Testaverde leads group of seven Jesuit athletes to sign NLI’s Wednesday
- Florida High School Flag Football State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Lineups
Rays v Rangers: Garza returns
Posted Sep 16, 2013 by Roger Mooney
Updated Sep 16, 2013 at 06:02 PM
ST. PETERSBURG – The Rays and Rangers, tied for the lead in the Wild Card standings, begin a crucial four-game series tonight at Tropicana Field.
Former Ray Matt Garza starts for the Rangers against Alex Cobb.
Speaking of ex-Rays, James Shields (Royals) and Scott Kazmir (Indians) face each other tonight in Kansas City. Kazmir’s Indians are a half-game back of the Rays and Rangers in the Wild Card standings. The Royals are 3 ½ games back.
The Rangers are struggling as much as the Rays, having lost 12 of their last 15 games. The Rays had their three-game winning streak stopped Sunday in Minnesota. They have won just four of their last 10 games.
Here are the lineups:
Garza RHP (9-5, 3.79)
Cobb RHP (8-3, 3.08)