Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Beck staying with Longhorns
- Boys Basketball:FABC/Source Hoops Florida State Poll
- No Kloss? It’s baffling
- Boys Basketball: Robinson’s Brown reaches 1,000 career points
- Bucs’ Gholston a finalist for top weekly rookie honors
- Pasco High TE/DL Bowman Archibald picks up two Division I offers
- Girls Basketball: FABC/Source Hoops State Poll
- Land O’ Lakes boys soccer coach Mark Pearson earns 300th career win
- Manuel signs deal with Panini Authentic
- Panini previews Gold Standard basketball
- Golf: All-Western Conference Teams
- Baseball: Jesuit OF Taylor selects Duke
- Land O’ Lakes defensive standout Shaheed Salmon picks up first offer
- Football: All-Western Conference Teams
- Rays non-tender Fuld
Rays v Rangers: Garza returns
Posted Sep 16, 2013 by Roger Mooney
Updated Sep 16, 2013 at 06:02 PM
ST. PETERSBURG – The Rays and Rangers, tied for the lead in the Wild Card standings, begin a crucial four-game series tonight at Tropicana Field.
Former Ray Matt Garza starts for the Rangers against Alex Cobb.
Speaking of ex-Rays, James Shields (Royals) and Scott Kazmir (Indians) face each other tonight in Kansas City. Kazmir’s Indians are a half-game back of the Rays and Rangers in the Wild Card standings. The Royals are 3 ½ games back.
The Rangers are struggling as much as the Rays, having lost 12 of their last 15 games. The Rays had their three-game winning streak stopped Sunday in Minnesota. They have won just four of their last 10 games.
Here are the lineups:
Garza RHP (9-5, 3.79)
Cobb RHP (8-3, 3.08)