Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Rays v Pirates: Moore on the bump, McClung on the bus
- Plant coach Roy Harrison elected to FHSAA Hall of Fame
- Volleyball: Freedom’s Schaller signs with Eckerd
- Five athletes at Strawberry Crest to play at next level
- Sunlake F Remi Pimm named Florida Dairy Farmers State 3A Player of the Year
- Anclote volleyball coach Chris Vergnaud steps down to join PHSC staff
- Hillsborough County’s top seniors take court tonight in TBBCA All-Star game
- Gregory, Corbett, Sanders, Childs, Channer to play in FABC state all-star basketball game
- Rays prepare for raining day - Price now pitching sim game in Port Charlotte
- A year-by-year look at Wrigley Field
- Leaf previews classic designs in Originals football
- All-Western Conference Cheerleading
- Rays v NYY: Ramos makes his pitch
- Miracle Sports Florida State Softball Poll: Week 2
- Ramos now a candidate for 5th starters spot
Rays v Rangers: Garza returns
Posted Sep 16, 2013 by Roger Mooney
Updated Sep 16, 2013 at 06:02 PM
ST. PETERSBURG – The Rays and Rangers, tied for the lead in the Wild Card standings, begin a crucial four-game series tonight at Tropicana Field.
Former Ray Matt Garza starts for the Rangers against Alex Cobb.
Speaking of ex-Rays, James Shields (Royals) and Scott Kazmir (Indians) face each other tonight in Kansas City. Kazmir’s Indians are a half-game back of the Rays and Rangers in the Wild Card standings. The Royals are 3 ½ games back.
The Rangers are struggling as much as the Rays, having lost 12 of their last 15 games. The Rays had their three-game winning streak stopped Sunday in Minnesota. They have won just four of their last 10 games.
Here are the lineups:
Garza RHP (9-5, 3.79)
Cobb RHP (8-3, 3.08)