Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Plant’s Donahue signs with UF
- Florida High School Softball State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Brrrrrrrrrr
- Five Berkekey Prep student-athletes to be recognized at signing ceremony Wednesday
- Gulf softball coach Rick Hohenthaner resigns after 12 seasons
- Leaf heads to auction with Manziel predictor packs
- Panini provides a look at 2013-14 Signatures basketball product
- Testaverde leads group of seven Jesuit athletes to sign NLI’s Wednesday
- Florida High School Flag Football State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Lineups
- Patchan picks Hurricanes
- Recalling an iconic weekend at the Masters
- Rays @ Reds: Kiermaier starts, Myers, Jennings sit
- Fruhmorgen commits to Clemson
- Boys Basketball: Jean, Ingram make 7A All-State Team
Rays v O’s: Rodriguez returns to CF
Posted Mar 2, 2013 by Roger Mooney
Updated Mar 2, 2013 at 09:55 AM
PORT CHARLOTTE Ben Zobrist and Jose Molina play their final games today before heading off for their respective teams for the World Baseball Classic.
Zobrist will represent USA while Molina will play for Puerto Rico.
Also heading to the WBC are closer Fernando Rodney (Dominican), left-handed pitcher Cesar Ramos (Mexico) and lefty Alex Torres (Venezuela).
Zobrist will start today against the visiting Orioles in his familiar right field. He will be the only familiar face in the outfield. Kelly Johnson makes his third start of the week in left field, a position he played as a rookie in 2005 with the Braves and one he will be this season, and Sean Rodriguez returns to center field, a position he hasn’t played since 2010.
Today is the first of only three meetings between the Rays and O’s this spring. The two teams open the regular season April 2 at Tropicana Field.
Here is the Rays lineup: