Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Rays v Yankees: Moore looks for 9th, Hernandez staying put, Price update
- Rays v Yankees: Rodney remains the closer, Jennings off, Joyce back
- Gausman is Bowman’s No. 3 redemption card
- Topps previews baseball Update series
- Panini’s Prime Hockey will have extra treat
- Rays juggle rotation to get Cobb a start this weekend against Yankees
- Beckett opens weekly Wednesday chat room on Facebook page
- Rays @ Jays: Joyce update, Longo DH, Molina returns
- NFL Network report on Revis is revealing
- In The Game acquires Sport Kings LP
- Pasco WR Nate Craig (2016) up to 15 Division I offers
- Tampa Bay softball players honored by FACA
- Western Conference Baseball Teams
- Pasco baseball players Blaine Duncan, Matt Plourde headed to Barry, Daytona State respectively
- Maddon changes stance on Escobar’s home run guesture
- Bucs Report -Tribune staff
- Rays Report - Roger Mooney
- Bolts Report - Erik Erlendsson
- Bulls Report
- Prep Report - Hillsborough
- Prep Report - Pasco
- Prep Report - Region
- Prep Report - Recruiting Updates
- Prep Report - Football
- Go Fishing: On The Waterfront
- The Sports Bookie - Bob D'Angelo
- Gators Report - Tribune staff
- Youth Sports Report
- NFL Draft Report
- Go Ask: Frank's Tacklebox
- Bucified Bert Blog
- BUK Power - Bucs Fan Blog
- Pigskin Preacher - NFL Fan Blog
- Breakfast Bonus - Tom McEwen
- Highlands Sports
Rays v O’s: Niemann, Longo updates, lineups
Posted Aug 3, 2012 by Roger Mooney
Updated Aug 3, 2012 at 05:32 PM
ST. PETERSBURG The Rays and Orioles open a three-game series tonight at the Trop.
They are tied for second in the AL East and tied with the Tigers for the third in the Wild Card standings, 1 ½ games behind the A’s for the second Wild Card spot and 2 games behind the Angels for the Wild Card lead.
So, it’s kind of a big series.
Matt Moore, who was outstanding in his past two starts, meets Tommy Hunter, who lost his past two starts and had received three runs of sport in his last four starts.
INF Will Rhymes rejoins the team, having been recalled earlier in the day from Triple A Durham.
RHP Jeff Niemann (fractured right fibula) threw a simulated game this season and said it went great. He could begin his minor league rehab Wednesday with Class A Charlotte.
3B Evan Longoria (left hamstring) continues his rehab with Durham. Manager Joe Maddon said it’s possible Longoria can rejoin the Rays on Tuesday when they begin a three-game series with the Blue Jays.
Here are the lineups:
Hunter RHP (4-6, 5.68)
Moore LHP (7-7, 4.01)