Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Boys Basketball: Robinson’s Brown reaches 1,000 career points
- Bucs’ Gholston a finalist for top weekly rookie honors
- Pasco High TE/DL Bowman Archibald picks up two Division I offers
- Girls Basketball: FABC/Source Hoops State Poll
- Land O’ Lakes boys soccer coach Mark Pearson earns 300th career win
- Manuel signs deal with Panini Authentic
- Panini previews Gold Standard basketball
- Golf: All-Western Conference Teams
- Baseball: Jesuit OF Taylor selects Duke
- Land O’ Lakes defensive standout Shaheed Salmon picks up first offer
- Football: All-Western Conference Teams
- Rays non-tender Fuld
- Chargers WR Allen top rookie in Week 12 voting
- Collect call: 2014 Topps U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Team and Hopefuls
- Panini’s Totally Certified hockey to debut in February
Rays v O’s: Niemann, Longo updates, lineups
Posted Aug 3, 2012 by Roger Mooney
Updated Aug 3, 2012 at 05:32 PM
ST. PETERSBURG The Rays and Orioles open a three-game series tonight at the Trop.
They are tied for second in the AL East and tied with the Tigers for the third in the Wild Card standings, 1 ½ games behind the A’s for the second Wild Card spot and 2 games behind the Angels for the Wild Card lead.
So, it’s kind of a big series.
Matt Moore, who was outstanding in his past two starts, meets Tommy Hunter, who lost his past two starts and had received three runs of sport in his last four starts.
INF Will Rhymes rejoins the team, having been recalled earlier in the day from Triple A Durham.
RHP Jeff Niemann (fractured right fibula) threw a simulated game this season and said it went great. He could begin his minor league rehab Wednesday with Class A Charlotte.
3B Evan Longoria (left hamstring) continues his rehab with Durham. Manager Joe Maddon said it’s possible Longoria can rejoin the Rays on Tuesday when they begin a three-game series with the Blue Jays.
Here are the lineups:
Hunter RHP (4-6, 5.68)
Moore LHP (7-7, 4.01)