Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Five Berkekey Prep student-athletes to be recognized at signing ceremony Wednesday
- Gulf softball coach Rick Hohenthaner resigns after 12 seasons
- Leaf heads to auction with Manziel predictor packs
- Panini provides a look at 2013-14 Signatures basketball product
- Testaverde leads group of seven Jesuit athletes to sign NLI’s Wednesday
- Florida High School Flag Football State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Lineups
- Patchan picks Hurricanes
- Recalling an iconic weekend at the Masters
- Rays @ Reds: Kiermaier starts, Myers, Jennings sit
- Fruhmorgen commits to Clemson
- Boys Basketball: Jean, Ingram make 7A All-State Team
- Florida High School Softball State Poll
- Aaron auto is mystery redemption card No. 1 for 2014 Topps Tribute
- Bishop McLaughlin names assistant Craig Moore as its head football coach
Rays v O’s: Niemann, Longo updates, lineups
Posted Aug 3, 2012 by Roger Mooney
Updated Aug 3, 2012 at 05:32 PM
ST. PETERSBURG The Rays and Orioles open a three-game series tonight at the Trop.
They are tied for second in the AL East and tied with the Tigers for the third in the Wild Card standings, 1 ½ games behind the A’s for the second Wild Card spot and 2 games behind the Angels for the Wild Card lead.
So, it’s kind of a big series.
Matt Moore, who was outstanding in his past two starts, meets Tommy Hunter, who lost his past two starts and had received three runs of sport in his last four starts.
INF Will Rhymes rejoins the team, having been recalled earlier in the day from Triple A Durham.
RHP Jeff Niemann (fractured right fibula) threw a simulated game this season and said it went great. He could begin his minor league rehab Wednesday with Class A Charlotte.
3B Evan Longoria (left hamstring) continues his rehab with Durham. Manager Joe Maddon said it’s possible Longoria can rejoin the Rays on Tuesday when they begin a three-game series with the Blue Jays.
Here are the lineups:
Hunter RHP (4-6, 5.68)
Moore LHP (7-7, 4.01)