Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Rays v Pirates: Moore on the bump, McClung on the bus
- Plant coach Roy Harrison elected to FHSAA Hall of Fame
- Volleyball: Freedom’s Schaller signs with Eckerd
- Five athletes at Strawberry Crest to play at next level
- Sunlake F Remi Pimm named Florida Dairy Farmers State 3A Player of the Year
- Anclote volleyball coach Chris Vergnaud steps down to join PHSC staff
- Hillsborough County’s top seniors take court tonight in TBBCA All-Star game
- Gregory, Corbett, Sanders, Childs, Channer to play in FABC state all-star basketball game
- Rays prepare for raining day - Price now pitching sim game in Port Charlotte
- A year-by-year look at Wrigley Field
- Leaf previews classic designs in Originals football
- All-Western Conference Cheerleading
- Rays v NYY: Ramos makes his pitch
- Miracle Sports Florida State Softball Poll: Week 2
- Ramos now a candidate for 5th starters spot
Rays v O’s: Niemann, Longo updates, lineups
Posted Aug 3, 2012 by Roger Mooney
Updated Aug 3, 2012 at 05:32 PM
ST. PETERSBURG The Rays and Orioles open a three-game series tonight at the Trop.
They are tied for second in the AL East and tied with the Tigers for the third in the Wild Card standings, 1 ½ games behind the A’s for the second Wild Card spot and 2 games behind the Angels for the Wild Card lead.
So, it’s kind of a big series.
Matt Moore, who was outstanding in his past two starts, meets Tommy Hunter, who lost his past two starts and had received three runs of sport in his last four starts.
INF Will Rhymes rejoins the team, having been recalled earlier in the day from Triple A Durham.
RHP Jeff Niemann (fractured right fibula) threw a simulated game this season and said it went great. He could begin his minor league rehab Wednesday with Class A Charlotte.
3B Evan Longoria (left hamstring) continues his rehab with Durham. Manager Joe Maddon said it’s possible Longoria can rejoin the Rays on Tuesday when they begin a three-game series with the Blue Jays.
Here are the lineups:
Hunter RHP (4-6, 5.68)
Moore LHP (7-7, 4.01)