Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Manuel signs deal with Panini Authentic
- Panini previews Gold Standard basketball
- Golf: All-Western Conference Teams
- Baseball: Jesuit OF Taylor selects Duke
- Land O’ Lakes defensive standout Shaheed Salmon picks up first offer
- Football: All-Western Conference Teams
- Rays non-tender Fuld
- Chargers WR Allen top rookie in Week 12 voting
- Collect call: 2014 Topps U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Team and Hopefuls
- Panini’s Totally Certified hockey to debut in February
- Leaf releases some corny inserts
- Volleyball: Berkeley Prep’s Brown a finalist for Miss Volleyball
- Rays 2014 spring training schedule
- Proposal would ease FHSAA penalty for violating “follow the coach” law
- Maddon’s Thanksmas returns for 8th year
Rays V O’s: Longo, Jennings updates and lineups
Posted Jun 1, 2012 by Roger Mooney
Updated Jun 1, 2012 at 05:42 PM
ST. PETERSBURG 3B Evan Longoria will accompany the team on the upcoming road trip to New York and Miami because his rehab from a partially torn left hamstring has progressed to where he’s working daily on baseball skills.
So, that’s good news on the injury front.
Longoria could head for a minor league rehab assignment by mid-month and could rejoin the team by the end of the month.
Joe Maddon said LF Desmond Jennings (Left knee) will rejoin the team on the road trip and could be back during the first leg when the Rays play three games at Yankee Stadium.
As for tonight, the Rays begin a three-game series with the Orioles. Both teams share the lead in American League East, yet both are struggling.
The Orioles bring a five-game losing streak into the series while the rays have lost three straight.
David Price faces Wei-Yin Chen in a battle of left-handers.
Here are the lineups:
Chen LHP (4-1, 3.31)
Price LHP (6-3, 2.71)