Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Rays v Twins: Injury updates and lineups
- Novel explores temptations, ramifications of steroid use
- Rays @ BoSox: Lineups and injury updates
- Rays @ Yankees: Notes and lineups
- Update on Peralta’s neck
- Rays v Pirates: Moore on the bump, McClung on the bus
- Plant coach Roy Harrison elected to FHSAA Hall of Fame
- Volleyball: Freedom’s Schaller signs with Eckerd
- Five athletes at Strawberry Crest to play at next level
- Sunlake F Remi Pimm named Florida Dairy Farmers State 3A Player of the Year
- Anclote volleyball coach Chris Vergnaud steps down to join PHSC staff
- Hillsborough County’s top seniors take court tonight in TBBCA All-Star game
- Gregory, Corbett, Sanders, Childs, Channer to play in FABC state all-star basketball game
- Rays prepare for raining day - Price now pitching sim game in Port Charlotte
- A year-by-year look at Wrigley Field
Rays v O’s: Lineups and injury updates
Posted Aug 4, 2012 by Roger Mooney
Updated Aug 4, 2012 at 05:17 PM
ST. PETERSBURG The Rays look to win their fourth straight game when they meet the Orioles tonight at Tropicana Field.
This three-game winning streak is their longest since they won four straight June 7-10.
Jeff Keppinger’s right ankle, which he twisted sliding into second base during Friday’s win, is sore but won’t keep him out of the lineup.
Friday’s 2-0 win moved the Rays to within a half-game of the second Wild Card spot. They trail the AL Wild Card-leading A’s by two games.
Jeremy Hellickson takes a two-game winning streak into tonight’s game.
On the injury front, 3B Evan Longoria (left hamstring) will DH again tonight for the Durham Bulls, making this three straight games. Sunday is scheduled day off. His progress will be reevaluated after that.
RHP Jeff Niemann (fractured right fibula) will throw a bullpen session Sunday. If all goes well he will begin his minor league rehab assignment Wednesday with Class A Charlotte.
DH Luke Scott (oblique strain) is expected to take live BP before Sunday’s game. Still no timetable for his return.
Here are tonight’s lineups:
Chen LHP (9-6, 3.65)
Hellickson RHP (6-6, 3.23)