Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Manuel signs deal with Panini Authentic
- Panini previews Gold Standard basketball
- Golf: All-Western Conference Teams
- Baseball: Jesuit OF Taylor selects Duke
- Land O’ Lakes defensive standout Shaheed Salmon picks up first offer
- Football: All-Western Conference Teams
- Rays non-tender Fuld
- Chargers WR Allen top rookie in Week 12 voting
- Collect call: 2014 Topps U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Team and Hopefuls
- Panini’s Totally Certified hockey to debut in February
- Leaf releases some corny inserts
- Volleyball: Berkeley Prep’s Brown a finalist for Miss Volleyball
- Rays 2014 spring training schedule
- Proposal would ease FHSAA penalty for violating “follow the coach” law
- Maddon’s Thanksmas returns for 8th year
Rays v O’s: Lineups and injury updates
Posted Aug 4, 2012 by Roger Mooney
Updated Aug 4, 2012 at 05:17 PM
ST. PETERSBURG The Rays look to win their fourth straight game when they meet the Orioles tonight at Tropicana Field.
This three-game winning streak is their longest since they won four straight June 7-10.
Jeff Keppinger’s right ankle, which he twisted sliding into second base during Friday’s win, is sore but won’t keep him out of the lineup.
Friday’s 2-0 win moved the Rays to within a half-game of the second Wild Card spot. They trail the AL Wild Card-leading A’s by two games.
Jeremy Hellickson takes a two-game winning streak into tonight’s game.
On the injury front, 3B Evan Longoria (left hamstring) will DH again tonight for the Durham Bulls, making this three straight games. Sunday is scheduled day off. His progress will be reevaluated after that.
RHP Jeff Niemann (fractured right fibula) will throw a bullpen session Sunday. If all goes well he will begin his minor league rehab assignment Wednesday with Class A Charlotte.
DH Luke Scott (oblique strain) is expected to take live BP before Sunday’s game. Still no timetable for his return.
Here are tonight’s lineups:
Chen LHP (9-6, 3.65)
Hellickson RHP (6-6, 3.23)