Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Five Berkekey Prep student-athletes to be recognized at signing ceremony Wednesday
- Gulf softball coach Rick Hohenthaner resigns after 12 seasons
- Leaf heads to auction with Manziel predictor packs
- Panini provides a look at 2013-14 Signatures basketball product
- Testaverde leads group of seven Jesuit athletes to sign NLI’s Wednesday
- Florida High School Flag Football State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Lineups
- Patchan picks Hurricanes
- Recalling an iconic weekend at the Masters
- Rays @ Reds: Kiermaier starts, Myers, Jennings sit
- Fruhmorgen commits to Clemson
- Boys Basketball: Jean, Ingram make 7A All-State Team
- Florida High School Softball State Poll
- Aaron auto is mystery redemption card No. 1 for 2014 Topps Tribute
- Bishop McLaughlin names assistant Craig Moore as its head football coach
Rays V O’s: Hellickson pitching, Johnson at 1B
Posted Apr 3, 2013 by Roger Mooney
Updated Apr 3, 2013 at 05:26 PM
ST. PETERSBURG The Rays and O’s are back at it tonight at the Trop for game 2 of this three-game set and Game 2 of the season.
Jeremy Hellickson, whose goal is to pitch deeper into games this season, will face Orioles lefty Wei-Yin Chen.
Because of the left pitcher, Joe Maddon is going with a mostly right-handed lineup with Kelly Johnson as the only left-handed hitter. Johnson will play first base in place of James Loney, another left-handed bat. Neither Johnson or Loney have faced Chen.
Sean Rodriguez has and is 0-for-7 against Chen. Rodriguez will play left field.
Maddon said he could have played Johnson in left, but wants Johnson to get more practice fielding pop ups under the Trop’s roof.
Here are the lineups: