Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Plant coach Roy Harrison elected to FHSAA Hall of Fame
- Volleyball: Freedom’s Schaller signs with Eckerd
- Five athletes at Strawberry Crest to play at next level
- Sunlake F Remi Pimm named Florida Dairy Farmers State 3A Player of the Year
- Anclote volleyball coach Chris Vergnaud steps down to join PHSC staff
- Hillsborough County’s top seniors take court tonight in TBBCA All-Star game
- Gregory, Corbett, Sanders, Childs, Channer to play in FABC state all-star basketball game
- Rays prepare for raining day - Price now pitching sim game in Port Charlotte
- A year-by-year look at Wrigley Field
- Leaf previews classic designs in Originals football
- All-Western Conference Cheerleading
- Rays v NYY: Ramos makes his pitch
- Miracle Sports Florida State Softball Poll: Week 2
- Ramos now a candidate for 5th starters spot
- Rays @ BoSox: Archer’s first start
Rays V O’s: Hellickson pitching, Johnson at 1B
Posted Apr 3, 2013 by Roger Mooney
Updated Apr 3, 2013 at 05:26 PM
ST. PETERSBURG The Rays and O’s are back at it tonight at the Trop for game 2 of this three-game set and Game 2 of the season.
Jeremy Hellickson, whose goal is to pitch deeper into games this season, will face Orioles lefty Wei-Yin Chen.
Because of the left pitcher, Joe Maddon is going with a mostly right-handed lineup with Kelly Johnson as the only left-handed hitter. Johnson will play first base in place of James Loney, another left-handed bat. Neither Johnson or Loney have faced Chen.
Sean Rodriguez has and is 0-for-7 against Chen. Rodriguez will play left field.
Maddon said he could have played Johnson in left, but wants Johnson to get more practice fielding pop ups under the Trop’s roof.
Here are the lineups: