Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Panini previews Gold Standard basketball
- Golf: All-Western Conference Teams
- Baseball: Jesuit OF Taylor selects Duke
- Land O’ Lakes defensive standout Shaheed Salmon picks up first offer
- Football: All-Western Conference Teams
- Rays non-tender Fuld
- Chargers WR Allen top rookie in Week 12 voting
- Collect call: 2014 Topps U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Team and Hopefuls
- Panini’s Totally Certified hockey to debut in February
- Leaf releases some corny inserts
- Volleyball: Berkeley Prep’s Brown a finalist for Miss Volleyball
- Rays 2014 spring training schedule
- Proposal would ease FHSAA penalty for violating “follow the coach” law
- Maddon’s Thanksmas returns for 8th year
- Maddux, Glavine, Thomas highlight newcomers on Hall of Fame ballot
Rays V O’s: Hellickson pitching, Johnson at 1B
Posted Apr 3, 2013 by Roger Mooney
Updated Apr 3, 2013 at 05:26 PM
ST. PETERSBURG The Rays and O’s are back at it tonight at the Trop for game 2 of this three-game set and Game 2 of the season.
Jeremy Hellickson, whose goal is to pitch deeper into games this season, will face Orioles lefty Wei-Yin Chen.
Because of the left pitcher, Joe Maddon is going with a mostly right-handed lineup with Kelly Johnson as the only left-handed hitter. Johnson will play first base in place of James Loney, another left-handed bat. Neither Johnson or Loney have faced Chen.
Sean Rodriguez has and is 0-for-7 against Chen. Rodriguez will play left field.
Maddon said he could have played Johnson in left, but wants Johnson to get more practice fielding pop ups under the Trop’s roof.
Here are the lineups: