Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Boys Basketball: Robinson’s Brown reaches 1,000 career points
- Bucs’ Gholston a finalist for top weekly rookie honors
- Pasco High TE/DL Bowman Archibald picks up two Division I offers
- Girls Basketball: FABC/Source Hoops State Poll
- Land O’ Lakes boys soccer coach Mark Pearson earns 300th career win
- Manuel signs deal with Panini Authentic
- Panini previews Gold Standard basketball
- Golf: All-Western Conference Teams
- Baseball: Jesuit OF Taylor selects Duke
- Land O’ Lakes defensive standout Shaheed Salmon picks up first offer
- Football: All-Western Conference Teams
- Rays non-tender Fuld
- Chargers WR Allen top rookie in Week 12 voting
- Collect call: 2014 Topps U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Team and Hopefuls
- Panini’s Totally Certified hockey to debut in February
Rays v KC: Cobb tries to right the ship, Johnson dropped in the order
Posted Jun 15, 2013 by Roger Mooney
Updated Jun 15, 2013 at 03:03 PM
ST. PETERSBURG Alex Cobb, so good in days following a Rays loss, will try to defend the honor of the rotation this afternoon while the offense searches for ways to get a hit with runners in scoring position against the Royals.
Cobb is 5-1 with a 2.77 ERA on days following a Rays loss.
The Rays offense is 1-for-22 with RISP in their last three games, all losses.
Kelly Johnson, 3-for-30 on this homestand, has been dropped to seventh in the order. Luke Scott, who has showed some life at the plate the past few games, will bat third and play left field. Rays manager Joe Maddon said he can get away with Scott in the outfield since Cobb is a groundball pitcher.
Johnson remains at third base. Maddon said he expects Evan Longoria, DHing again for the third straight game because of plantar fasciitis in his right foot, to return to third base Tuesday when the Rays play a doubleheader in Boston.
Here are the lineups:
Guthrie RHP (7-3, 3.60)
Cobb RHP (6-2, 2.95)