Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Rays @ BoSox: Lineups and injury updates
- Rays @ Yankees: Notes and lineups
- Update on Peralta’s neck
- Rays v Pirates: Moore on the bump, McClung on the bus
- Plant coach Roy Harrison elected to FHSAA Hall of Fame
- Volleyball: Freedom’s Schaller signs with Eckerd
- Five athletes at Strawberry Crest to play at next level
- Sunlake F Remi Pimm named Florida Dairy Farmers State 3A Player of the Year
- Anclote volleyball coach Chris Vergnaud steps down to join PHSC staff
- Hillsborough County’s top seniors take court tonight in TBBCA All-Star game
- Gregory, Corbett, Sanders, Childs, Channer to play in FABC state all-star basketball game
- Rays prepare for raining day - Price now pitching sim game in Port Charlotte
- A year-by-year look at Wrigley Field
- Leaf previews classic designs in Originals football
- All-Western Conference Cheerleading
Rays v Jays: Hernandez on the hill
Posted Mar 21, 2013 by Roger Mooney
Updated Mar 21, 2013 at 11:30 AM
PORT CHARLOTTE The Blue Jays make their first visit of the spring today to Charlotte Sports Park and will see what could be the Rays Opening Day lineup.
Right-hander Roberto Hernandez, competing with Jeff Niemann for the final spot in the rotation, makes the start for the Rays. Niemann starts Friday against the visiting Orioles.
Rays manager Joe Maddon said each will get another start before the decision is made on who starts and who heads to the bullpen.
Matt Moore, who has his Tuesday start rained out, will pitch a simulated game today so the Rays can monitor his pitch count.
Here is the Rays lineup: