Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- A fresh, entertaining look at the 1991 World Series
- Plant’s Donahue signs with UF
- Florida High School Softball State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Brrrrrrrrrr
- Five Berkekey Prep student-athletes to be recognized at signing ceremony Wednesday
- Gulf softball coach Rick Hohenthaner resigns after 12 seasons
- Leaf heads to auction with Manziel predictor packs
- Panini provides a look at 2013-14 Signatures basketball product
- Testaverde leads group of seven Jesuit athletes to sign NLI’s Wednesday
- Florida High School Flag Football State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Lineups
- Patchan picks Hurricanes
- Recalling an iconic weekend at the Masters
- Rays @ Reds: Kiermaier starts, Myers, Jennings sit
- Fruhmorgen commits to Clemson
Rays v Jays: Hernandez on the hill
Posted Mar 21, 2013 by Roger Mooney
Updated Mar 21, 2013 at 11:30 AM
PORT CHARLOTTE The Blue Jays make their first visit of the spring today to Charlotte Sports Park and will see what could be the Rays Opening Day lineup.
Right-hander Roberto Hernandez, competing with Jeff Niemann for the final spot in the rotation, makes the start for the Rays. Niemann starts Friday against the visiting Orioles.
Rays manager Joe Maddon said each will get another start before the decision is made on who starts and who heads to the bullpen.
Matt Moore, who has his Tuesday start rained out, will pitch a simulated game today so the Rays can monitor his pitch count.
Here is the Rays lineup: