Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Rays v Twins: Injury updates and lineups
- Novel explores temptations, ramifications of steroid use
- Rays @ BoSox: Lineups and injury updates
- Rays @ Yankees: Notes and lineups
- Update on Peralta’s neck
- Rays v Pirates: Moore on the bump, McClung on the bus
- Plant coach Roy Harrison elected to FHSAA Hall of Fame
- Volleyball: Freedom’s Schaller signs with Eckerd
- Five athletes at Strawberry Crest to play at next level
- Sunlake F Remi Pimm named Florida Dairy Farmers State 3A Player of the Year
- Anclote volleyball coach Chris Vergnaud steps down to join PHSC staff
- Hillsborough County’s top seniors take court tonight in TBBCA All-Star game
- Gregory, Corbett, Sanders, Childs, Channer to play in FABC state all-star basketball game
- Rays prepare for raining day - Price now pitching sim game in Port Charlotte
- A year-by-year look at Wrigley Field
Rays v Indians: Hello Johnny and Kotch
Posted Jul 16, 2012 by Roger Mooney
Updated Jul 16, 2012 at 04:20 PM
ST. PETERSBURG The Rays begin the day tied with the Tigers and A’s for third place in the Wild Card standings, each a half-game behind the Orioles and Angels, who are tied for first.
Alex Cobb (4-5, 4.89) faces Zach McAllister (3-1, 3.40) tonight as the Rays and Indians begin a four-game series.
The Indians are just a half-game behind the Rays, A’s and Tigers in the Wild Card standings.
Will Rhymes, fresh off a 2-for-5 day Sunday, is back at the leadoff spot. Luke Scott is back at DH.
Johnny Damon and Casey Kotchman, two big pieces in the puzzle last season as the Rays rallied in September for the AL Wild Card, return to the Trop for the first time this season.
Kotchman is at first base tonight and bats eighth. Damon is in left field and batting ninth.
Here are the lineups: