Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Manuel signs deal with Panini Authentic
- Panini previews Gold Standard basketball
- Golf: All-Western Conference Teams
- Baseball: Jesuit OF Taylor selects Duke
- Land O’ Lakes defensive standout Shaheed Salmon picks up first offer
- Football: All-Western Conference Teams
- Rays non-tender Fuld
- Chargers WR Allen top rookie in Week 12 voting
- Collect call: 2014 Topps U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Team and Hopefuls
- Panini’s Totally Certified hockey to debut in February
- Leaf releases some corny inserts
- Volleyball: Berkeley Prep’s Brown a finalist for Miss Volleyball
- Rays 2014 spring training schedule
- Proposal would ease FHSAA penalty for violating “follow the coach” law
- Maddon’s Thanksmas returns for 8th year
Rays v BoSox: Searching for answers
Posted Sep 19, 2012 by Roger Mooney
Updated Sep 19, 2012 at 05:52 PM
ST. PETERSBURG In another effort to unleash their winning mojo the Rays don’t have to be dressed today until 6 p.m., which is 70 minutes before first pitch.
That, folks, is as late as report time as you can get.
But manager Joe Maddon is trying anything to kick-start the offense and get his team pointed in the right direction. He hasn’t given up on the season yet, though the odds grow increasingly difficult with each loss.
The Rays, who have lost four straight and seven of their last eight, begin the night six games back in both races – the AL East and the AL Wild Card. What’s more, the Angels and Tigers have passed them in the Wild Card standings, which means they are no longer chasing just the Orioles and A’s.
Chris Archer makes his fourth start of the season and fifth appearance.
Here are the lineups:
Matsuzaka RHP (1-5, 7.14)
Archer RHP (0-3, 3.22)