Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Manuel signs deal with Panini Authentic
- Panini previews Gold Standard basketball
- Golf: All-Western Conference Teams
- Baseball: Jesuit OF Taylor selects Duke
- Land O’ Lakes defensive standout Shaheed Salmon picks up first offer
- Football: All-Western Conference Teams
- Rays non-tender Fuld
- Chargers WR Allen top rookie in Week 12 voting
- Collect call: 2014 Topps U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Team and Hopefuls
- Panini’s Totally Certified hockey to debut in February
- Leaf releases some corny inserts
- Volleyball: Berkeley Prep’s Brown a finalist for Miss Volleyball
- Rays 2014 spring training schedule
- Proposal would ease FHSAA penalty for violating “follow the coach” law
- Maddon’s Thanksmas returns for 8th year
Rays v BoSox: OF Thompson acquired from Phillies Triple A
Posted May 16, 2012 by Roger Mooney
Updated May 16, 2012 at 05:14 PM
ST. PETERSBURG The Rays acquired OF Rich Thompson today in a swap with the Phillies for minor league OF Kyle Hudson. He has not reached the Trop but is listed on the lineup card as a bench player.
A career minor leaguer, Thompson has spent 13 days in professional baseball and had one at-bat with the Royals in 2004. He grounded into a double play.
No word on who has been set down, but Brandon Guyer’s name was not on the card.
Joe Maddon said he couldn’t talk about it when he just met with the media but did say the team will have an announcement at 5:50 or 6, which means Thompson is on his way to the Trop.
Thompson is known for his speed. He was hitting .307 for Triple A Lehigh Valley this season.
The Rays begin an eight-game homestand tonight with the Boston Red Sox, winners of five straight.
Jeremy Hellickson (3-0, 2.95) faces Clay Buchholz (4-1, 8.31).
Here is the Rays lineup: