Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Plant coach Roy Harrison elected to FHSAA Hall of Fame
- Volleyball: Freedom’s Schaller signs with Eckerd
- Five athletes at Strawberry Crest to play at next level
- Sunlake F Remi Pimm named Florida Dairy Farmers State 3A Player of the Year
- Anclote volleyball coach Chris Vergnaud steps down to join PHSC staff
- Hillsborough County’s top seniors take court tonight in TBBCA All-Star game
- Gregory, Corbett, Sanders, Childs, Channer to play in FABC state all-star basketball game
- Rays prepare for raining day - Price now pitching sim game in Port Charlotte
- A year-by-year look at Wrigley Field
- Leaf previews classic designs in Originals football
- All-Western Conference Cheerleading
- Rays v NYY: Ramos makes his pitch
- Miracle Sports Florida State Softball Poll: Week 2
- Ramos now a candidate for 5th starters spot
- Rays @ BoSox: Archer’s first start
Rays v BoSox: Joyce to start rehab assignment Sunday and lineups
Posted Jul 14, 2012 by Roger Mooney
Updated Jul 14, 2012 at 05:34 PM
ST. PETERSBURG RF Matt Joyce will begin a rehab assignment Sunday with Class A Charlotte and could be back with the team Wednesday if everything goes well.
Joyce is scheduled to play Sunday and Monday and be reevaluated Tuesday.
This will be Joyce’s second attempt at a comeback from a left external oblique strain. He suffered a stiff back after three plate appearances during his first try with Triple A Durham. The two injuries were unrelated.
This means OF Sam Fuld, rehabbing from wrist surgery during the final week of spring training, won’t beat Joyce back as suggested Thursday by manager Joe Maddon. Fuld, who has yet to play back-to-back games with the Stone Crabs, is still trying to get his timing at the plate.
The Rays and Red Sox are back at it tonight at the Trop.
All-Star David Price faces Clay Buchholz, who is coming off the disabled list to make the start.
Here are the lineups:
Buchholz RHP (8-2, 5.53)
Price LHP (11-4, 2.82)