Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Pasco baseball players Blaine Duncan, Matt Plourde headed to Barry, Daytona State respectively
- Maddon changes stance on Escobar’s home run guesture
- Panini previews Rookies & Stars football
- A peek at Panini’s 2013 Cooperstown Collection
- Wharton athletes sign NLI’s
- Touchdown Club of Atlanta names Hargreaves top defensive back in the country
- Rays @ Jays: Cobb looking for 5th win
- FACA Baseball Classic Rosters announced
- Stargell stands tall in biography
- Profar is second Bowman redemption card
- Rays @ Jays: Victoria Day matinee
- Green seeking funds for trip
- Area Athletes Shine at Golden South Classic
- Rays @ O’s: Moore looking to go 8-0, Rays looking for sweep
- Collect call: 2013 Bowman baseball
- Bucs Report -Tribune staff
- Rays Report - Roger Mooney
- Bolts Report - Erik Erlendsson
- Bulls Report
- Prep Report - Hillsborough
- Prep Report - Pasco
- Prep Report - Region
- Prep Report - Recruiting Updates
- Prep Report - Football
- Go Fishing: On The Waterfront
- The Sports Bookie - Bob D'Angelo
- Gators Report - Tribune staff
- Youth Sports Report
- NFL Draft Report
- Go Ask: Frank's Tacklebox
- Bucified Bert Blog
- BUK Power - Bucs Fan Blog
- Pigskin Preacher - NFL Fan Blog
- Breakfast Bonus - Tom McEwen
- Highlands Sports
Rays v BoSox: Joyce to start rehab assignment Sunday and lineups
Posted Jul 14, 2012 by Roger Mooney
Updated Jul 14, 2012 at 05:34 PM
ST. PETERSBURG RF Matt Joyce will begin a rehab assignment Sunday with Class A Charlotte and could be back with the team Wednesday if everything goes well.
Joyce is scheduled to play Sunday and Monday and be reevaluated Tuesday.
This will be Joyce’s second attempt at a comeback from a left external oblique strain. He suffered a stiff back after three plate appearances during his first try with Triple A Durham. The two injuries were unrelated.
This means OF Sam Fuld, rehabbing from wrist surgery during the final week of spring training, won’t beat Joyce back as suggested Thursday by manager Joe Maddon. Fuld, who has yet to play back-to-back games with the Stone Crabs, is still trying to get his timing at the plate.
The Rays and Red Sox are back at it tonight at the Trop.
All-Star David Price faces Clay Buchholz, who is coming off the disabled list to make the start.
Here are the lineups:
Buchholz RHP (8-2, 5.53)
Price LHP (11-4, 2.82)