Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Rays vs Yankees: lineups
- Girls Basketball: Walker, Gregory lead Tampa Bay players on All-State Teams
- A fresh, entertaining look at the 1991 World Series
- Plant’s Donahue signs with UF
- Florida High School Softball State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Brrrrrrrrrr
- Five Berkekey Prep student-athletes to be recognized at signing ceremony Wednesday
- Gulf softball coach Rick Hohenthaner resigns after 12 seasons
- Leaf heads to auction with Manziel predictor packs
- Panini provides a look at 2013-14 Signatures basketball product
- Testaverde leads group of seven Jesuit athletes to sign NLI’s Wednesday
- Florida High School Flag Football State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Lineups
- Patchan picks Hurricanes
- Recalling an iconic weekend at the Masters
Rays v BoSox: Is third time a charm?
Posted Sep 12, 2013 by Roger Mooney
Updated Sep 12, 2013 at 05:57 PM
ST. PETERSBURG The Rays are hoping the third time is a charm and that Jeremy Hellickson’s solid outing last week against the Angels wasn’t an aberration as they try tp salvage the final game of this three-game series with the first-place Red Sox.
James Loney was moved to third in the order against Red Sox starter Jake Peavy because of Loney’s .321 average against Peavy.
The Rays begin the night with a one-game lead over the Yankees for the final Wild Card spot. The Yankees play the Orioles in Baltimore. The Orioles and Indians are each 1 ½ games back of the Rays.
Peavy RHP (3-1, 3.55)
Hellickson RHP (11-8, 5.04)