Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Rays vs Yankees: lineups
- Girls Basketball: Walker, Gregory lead Tampa Bay players on All-State Teams
- A fresh, entertaining look at the 1991 World Series
- Plant’s Donahue signs with UF
- Florida High School Softball State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Brrrrrrrrrr
- Five Berkekey Prep student-athletes to be recognized at signing ceremony Wednesday
- Gulf softball coach Rick Hohenthaner resigns after 12 seasons
- Leaf heads to auction with Manziel predictor packs
- Panini provides a look at 2013-14 Signatures basketball product
- Testaverde leads group of seven Jesuit athletes to sign NLI’s Wednesday
- Florida High School Flag Football State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Lineups
- Patchan picks Hurricanes
- Recalling an iconic weekend at the Masters
Rays v Astros: Spring debuts for Price, Longo
Posted Feb 26, 2013 by Roger Mooney
Updated Feb 26, 2013 at 10:02 AM
PORT CHARLOTTE Those who attend today’s Rays-Astros game at Charlotte Sports Park will see the spring debuts of David Price and Evan Longoria.
They might also get wet.
Rain is in the forecast this afternoon and could arrive in Port Charlotte after 2 p.m.
That shouldn’t interrupt Price’s outing since he is schedule to work one inning.
Price tweeted: “Astro isn’t too sure about me pitching against the Astros today…he said make sure I don’t hit anyone”
Oh, that Astro.
Ben Zobrist will play shortstop today for the first time this spring. He remains at the top of the order in an effort to get him the most at-bats possible as he prepares for the World Baseball Classic.
Leslie Anderson, who has hits in all three games and sports a .667 average and a team-high five RBI, will make his first start and play left field.
Wil Myers is also in the lineup.
Also scheduled to pitch for the Rays today is Fernando Rodney, Brandon Gomes, Josh Lueke, Alex Colome, Mike Montgomery and Enny Romero.
Former Rays first baseman Carlos Peña, now with the Astros, is not on the trip.
Here are the lineups:
Marwin Gonzalez SS
Brandon Barnes LF
Justin Maxwell CF
Chris Carter 1B
Nate Freiman DH
Matt Dominguez 3B
Jimmy Paredes RF
Jason Jaramillo C
Jake Elmore 2B
Jordan Lyles RHP