Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Manuel signs deal with Panini Authentic
- Panini previews Gold Standard basketball
- Golf: All-Western Conference Teams
- Baseball: Jesuit OF Taylor selects Duke
- Land O’ Lakes defensive standout Shaheed Salmon picks up first offer
- Football: All-Western Conference Teams
- Rays non-tender Fuld
- Chargers WR Allen top rookie in Week 12 voting
- Collect call: 2014 Topps U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Team and Hopefuls
- Panini’s Totally Certified hockey to debut in February
- Leaf releases some corny inserts
- Volleyball: Berkeley Prep’s Brown a finalist for Miss Volleyball
- Rays 2014 spring training schedule
- Proposal would ease FHSAA penalty for violating “follow the coach” law
- Maddon’s Thanksmas returns for 8th year
Rays v A’s: Scott ready to play minor league games, lineups
Posted Apr 21, 2013 by Roger Mooney
Updated Apr 21, 2013 at 01:34 PM
ST. PETERSBURG DH Luke Scott ran the bases this morning at full speed and participated in more running drills and took batting practice.
“Awesome,” he said. “Best day yet.”
Scott should begin a rehab assignment Tuesday, most likely with Class A Charlotte.
The Rays will not place a timetable for his return. It will be up to Scott to show them he’s ready.
“Basically I need to get on the fastball,” Scott said. “If I can get on the fastball I’ll be ready.”
In other news, manager Joe Maddon invited illusionist Geoff Williams to the clubhouse before the game and dazzle the players with some magic tricks.
The Rays are going for their first series sweep of the season when the play the A’s in the finale of this three-game set.
Roberto Hernandez is seeking his first win since Sept. 20, 2011 when he was a member of the Indians and known as Fausto Carmona. He beat the White Sox that day. Since then he is 0-6 in seven starts.
Here are the lineups:
Milone LHP (3-0, 3.86)
Hernandez RHP (0-3, 5.79)