Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Rays v Pirates: Moore on the bump, McClung on the bus
- Plant coach Roy Harrison elected to FHSAA Hall of Fame
- Volleyball: Freedom’s Schaller signs with Eckerd
- Five athletes at Strawberry Crest to play at next level
- Sunlake F Remi Pimm named Florida Dairy Farmers State 3A Player of the Year
- Anclote volleyball coach Chris Vergnaud steps down to join PHSC staff
- Hillsborough County’s top seniors take court tonight in TBBCA All-Star game
- Gregory, Corbett, Sanders, Childs, Channer to play in FABC state all-star basketball game
- Rays prepare for raining day - Price now pitching sim game in Port Charlotte
- A year-by-year look at Wrigley Field
- Leaf previews classic designs in Originals football
- All-Western Conference Cheerleading
- Rays v NYY: Ramos makes his pitch
- Miracle Sports Florida State Softball Poll: Week 2
- Ramos now a candidate for 5th starters spot
Rays v Angels: Price v Pujols and Matsui update
Posted Apr 24, 2012 by Roger Mooney
Updated Apr 24, 2012 at 05:36 PM
ST. PETERSBURG Mr. Pujols and company visit the Trop tonight for the first of three games against the Rays.
David Price, who’s allowed an awful lot of base runners this season – 26 in 15 innings, takes the hill against Ervin Santana.
Price’s encounters with Albert Pujols will be the subject of conversation. In addition to be homerless in his first 65 at-bats this season, Pujols is batting .167 against left-handers. Righties are hitting .289 against Price with eight walks this season.
“It’s just startling,” Rays manager Joe Maddon said of Pujols’s homerless drought. “It’s early in the season. He’s in a new environment. That ballpark can be tough, especially at night. He’s going to hit his share by the end of the year. I guarantee that. I’ll do the Joe Willie (Namath) thing: I guarantee that. It’s just a matter of time. Hopefully he waits a couple of more days before he gets it going. He’s pretty good.”
The Rays have not officially signed free agent DH/OF Hideki Matsui to a minor league contract, but are expected to do so this week. Maddon wouldn’t comment on that, but when asked if the Rays needs another left-handed power bat, he said, “We’re always looking to make ourselves better through depth and (GM Andrew) Andrew does a very good job with that. The moment you don’t have depth that’s when it creeps up and bites you. Andrew is constantly working to make us a better team.”
Here are tonight’s lineups:
Santana RHP (0-3, 6.75)
Price LHP (2-1, 4.20)