Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Manuel signs deal with Panini Authentic
- Panini previews Gold Standard basketball
- Golf: All-Western Conference Teams
- Baseball: Jesuit OF Taylor selects Duke
- Land O’ Lakes defensive standout Shaheed Salmon picks up first offer
- Football: All-Western Conference Teams
- Rays non-tender Fuld
- Chargers WR Allen top rookie in Week 12 voting
- Collect call: 2014 Topps U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Team and Hopefuls
- Panini’s Totally Certified hockey to debut in February
- Leaf releases some corny inserts
- Volleyball: Berkeley Prep’s Brown a finalist for Miss Volleyball
- Rays 2014 spring training schedule
- Proposal would ease FHSAA penalty for violating “follow the coach” law
- Maddon’s Thanksmas returns for 8th year
Rays @ Twins, Zobrist sits
Posted Feb 24, 2013 by Roger Mooney
Updated Feb 24, 2013 at 10:04 AM
PORT CHARLOTTE The Rays return to Fort Myers today, this time for a game with the Twins.
Ben Zobrist, who was on the original lineup posted Saturday, is not on the lineup today. Bench coach Dave Martinez suggested during Saturday’s game that Zobrist take today off. So Zobrist will.
“I feel fine,” Zobrist said.
Zobrist want to play every game during this first week of camp in preparation of his turn with Team USA in next month’s World Baseball Classic.
He did have four plate appearances and played right field Saturday against the Red Sox in Fort Myers. He said he expects to play Monday and Tuesday.
“I could play today,” he said. “I don’t feel sore. I felt more sore after our four hour practice the other day.”
Chris Archer makes his first start of the Grapefruit League schedule.
Here is the Rays lineup: