Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Rays @ Yankees: Notes and lineups
- Update on Peralta’s neck
- Rays v Pirates: Moore on the bump, McClung on the bus
- Plant coach Roy Harrison elected to FHSAA Hall of Fame
- Volleyball: Freedom’s Schaller signs with Eckerd
- Five athletes at Strawberry Crest to play at next level
- Sunlake F Remi Pimm named Florida Dairy Farmers State 3A Player of the Year
- Anclote volleyball coach Chris Vergnaud steps down to join PHSC staff
- Hillsborough County’s top seniors take court tonight in TBBCA All-Star game
- Gregory, Corbett, Sanders, Childs, Channer to play in FABC state all-star basketball game
- Rays prepare for raining day - Price now pitching sim game in Port Charlotte
- A year-by-year look at Wrigley Field
- Leaf previews classic designs in Originals football
- All-Western Conference Cheerleading
- Rays v NYY: Ramos makes his pitch
Rays @ Twins, Zobrist sits
Posted Feb 24, 2013 by Roger Mooney
Updated Feb 24, 2013 at 10:04 AM
PORT CHARLOTTE The Rays return to Fort Myers today, this time for a game with the Twins.
Ben Zobrist, who was on the original lineup posted Saturday, is not on the lineup today. Bench coach Dave Martinez suggested during Saturday’s game that Zobrist take today off. So Zobrist will.
“I feel fine,” Zobrist said.
Zobrist want to play every game during this first week of camp in preparation of his turn with Team USA in next month’s World Baseball Classic.
He did have four plate appearances and played right field Saturday against the Red Sox in Fort Myers. He said he expects to play Monday and Tuesday.
“I could play today,” he said. “I don’t feel sore. I felt more sore after our four hour practice the other day.”
Chris Archer makes his first start of the Grapefruit League schedule.
Here is the Rays lineup: