Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- A fresh, entertaining look at the 1991 World Series
- Plant’s Donahue signs with UF
- Florida High School Softball State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Brrrrrrrrrr
- Five Berkekey Prep student-athletes to be recognized at signing ceremony Wednesday
- Gulf softball coach Rick Hohenthaner resigns after 12 seasons
- Leaf heads to auction with Manziel predictor packs
- Panini provides a look at 2013-14 Signatures basketball product
- Testaverde leads group of seven Jesuit athletes to sign NLI’s Wednesday
- Florida High School Flag Football State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Lineups
- Patchan picks Hurricanes
- Recalling an iconic weekend at the Masters
- Rays @ Reds: Kiermaier starts, Myers, Jennings sit
- Fruhmorgen commits to Clemson
Rays @ Twins, Zobrist sits
Posted Feb 24, 2013 by Roger Mooney
Updated Feb 24, 2013 at 10:04 AM
PORT CHARLOTTE The Rays return to Fort Myers today, this time for a game with the Twins.
Ben Zobrist, who was on the original lineup posted Saturday, is not on the lineup today. Bench coach Dave Martinez suggested during Saturday’s game that Zobrist take today off. So Zobrist will.
“I feel fine,” Zobrist said.
Zobrist want to play every game during this first week of camp in preparation of his turn with Team USA in next month’s World Baseball Classic.
He did have four plate appearances and played right field Saturday against the Red Sox in Fort Myers. He said he expects to play Monday and Tuesday.
“I could play today,” he said. “I don’t feel sore. I felt more sore after our four hour practice the other day.”
Chris Archer makes his first start of the Grapefruit League schedule.
Here is the Rays lineup: