Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Rays v Yankees: Moore looks for 9th, Hernandez staying put, Price update
- Rays v Yankees: Rodney remains the closer, Jennings off, Joyce back
- Gausman is Bowman’s No. 3 redemption card
- Topps previews baseball Update series
- Panini’s Prime Hockey will have extra treat
- Rays juggle rotation to get Cobb a start this weekend against Yankees
- Beckett opens weekly Wednesday chat room on Facebook page
- Rays @ Jays: Joyce update, Longo DH, Molina returns
- NFL Network report on Revis is revealing
- In The Game acquires Sport Kings LP
- Pasco WR Nate Craig (2016) up to 15 Division I offers
- Tampa Bay softball players honored by FACA
- Western Conference Baseball Teams
- Pasco baseball players Blaine Duncan, Matt Plourde headed to Barry, Daytona State respectively
- Maddon changes stance on Escobar’s home run guesture
- Bucs Report -Tribune staff
- Rays Report - Roger Mooney
- Bolts Report - Erik Erlendsson
- Bulls Report
- Prep Report - Hillsborough
- Prep Report - Pasco
- Prep Report - Region
- Prep Report - Recruiting Updates
- Prep Report - Football
- Go Fishing: On The Waterfront
- The Sports Bookie - Bob D'Angelo
- Gators Report - Tribune staff
- Youth Sports Report
- NFL Draft Report
- Go Ask: Frank's Tacklebox
- Bucified Bert Blog
- BUK Power - Bucs Fan Blog
- Pigskin Preacher - NFL Fan Blog
- Breakfast Bonus - Tom McEwen
- Highlands Sports
Rays @ Twins: Longo playing again, Zoby at SS again
Posted Aug 10, 2012 by Roger Mooney
Updated Aug 10, 2012 at 05:54 PM
MINNEAPOLIS The Rays begin their last three-city road trip of the season tonight in Target Field against the Twins.
Statues of some of the legendary Twins players are stationed around the ballpark, including the above one of Harmon Killebrew.
Former Ray and current A’s designated hitter Jonny Gomes said James Shields should be among the first Rays players to receive the honor of having a statue outside whatever stadium the Rays play in when that time comes.
Anyway, Evan Longoria is in the lineup tonight for the fourth straight day. He said he is not feeling any soreness in his left hamstring. He also said he hopes to play third base at some point during this road trip.
Ben Zobrist is back at shortstop and said he’s happy to return to the position he played as he made his climb through the minor leagues to the big leagues.
Jeremy Hellickson makes the start tonight and will pitch in front of a large number of fans who made the trip from his home town in Des Moines, Iowa.
Here are the lineups:
Hellickson RHP (6-7, 3.43)
De Vries RHP (2-2, 3.81)