Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Rays v Yankees: Rodney remains the closer, Jennings off, Joyce back
- Gausman is Bowman’s No. 3 redemption card
- Topps previews baseball Update series
- Panini’s Prime Hockey will have extra treat
- Rays juggle rotation to get Cobb a start this weekend against Yankees
- Beckett opens weekly Wednesday chat room on Facebook page
- Rays @ Jays: Joyce update, Longo DH, Molina returns
- NFL Network report on Revis is revealing
- In The Game acquires Sport Kings LP
- Pasco WR Nate Craig (2016) up to 15 Division I offers
- Tampa Bay softball players honored by FACA
- Western Conference Baseball Teams
- Pasco baseball players Blaine Duncan, Matt Plourde headed to Barry, Daytona State respectively
- Maddon changes stance on Escobar’s home run guesture
- Panini previews Rookies & Stars football
- Bucs Report -Tribune staff
- Rays Report - Roger Mooney
- Bolts Report - Erik Erlendsson
- Bulls Report
- Prep Report - Hillsborough
- Prep Report - Pasco
- Prep Report - Region
- Prep Report - Recruiting Updates
- Prep Report - Football
- Go Fishing: On The Waterfront
- The Sports Bookie - Bob D'Angelo
- Gators Report - Tribune staff
- Youth Sports Report
- NFL Draft Report
- Go Ask: Frank's Tacklebox
- Bucified Bert Blog
- BUK Power - Bucs Fan Blog
- Pigskin Preacher - NFL Fan Blog
- Breakfast Bonus - Tom McEwen
- Highlands Sports
Rays tweak rotation to lineup with BoSox series June 14-16
Posted May 31, 2011 by Roger Mooney
Updated May 31, 2011 at 05:41 PM
BY ROGER MOONEY
ST. PETERSBURG Andy Sonnanstine will get another start, and that will come Friday as the Rays tweak the rotation to have David Price and James Shields face the Red Sox during the three-game series June 14-16 at the Trop.
Not sure how they are going to do that, because it’s going to take some juggling to get Price, Shields and, you would assume, Jeremy Hellickson set for the Red Sox.
Joe Maddon said the rotation is planned through Monday’s game against the Angels in Anaheim.
Here it is:
Price—Wednesday vs Rangers
Shields—Thursday @ Seattle
Sonnanstine—Friday @ Seattle
Hellickson—Saturday @ Seattle
Davis—Sunday @ Seattle
Price—Monday @ Los Angeles
The problem is Thursday’s off day and the June 13 makeup with the Tigers in Detroit.
The Rays could keep Price on five days and have him pitch the following Saturday in Baltimore, which would set him for the finale against the Red Sox.
Maddon said it’s possible Alex Cobb, tonight’s starter, could get another start, either in place of Sonnanstine or in addition to, which would give the Rays a six-man rotation.
Maddon could pop Cobb in there against Baltimore or have him start the makeup with Detroit to push Shields back a day so he starts the opener of the three-game series with the Red Sox.
Hellickson is on schedule to pitch the second game of the Red Sox series.