Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Rays vs Yankees: lineups
- Girls Basketball: Walker, Gregory lead Tampa Bay players on All-State Teams
- A fresh, entertaining look at the 1991 World Series
- Plant’s Donahue signs with UF
- Florida High School Softball State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Brrrrrrrrrr
- Five Berkekey Prep student-athletes to be recognized at signing ceremony Wednesday
- Gulf softball coach Rick Hohenthaner resigns after 12 seasons
- Leaf heads to auction with Manziel predictor packs
- Panini provides a look at 2013-14 Signatures basketball product
- Testaverde leads group of seven Jesuit athletes to sign NLI’s Wednesday
- Florida High School Flag Football State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Lineups
- Patchan picks Hurricanes
- Recalling an iconic weekend at the Masters
Rays trade Badenhop to Brewers for OF prospect Mondesi Jr.
Posted Dec 1, 2012 by Roger Mooney
Updated Dec 1, 2012 at 01:51 PM
ST. PETERSBURG The Tampa Bay Rays completed their first trade of the offseason Saturday, sending reliever Burke Badenhop to the Milwaukee Brewers in exchange for minor league outfield prospect Raul Mondesi Jr.
The 20-year-old Mondesi Jr., who played right field and center field, spent the 2012 season with Rookie-level Helena of the Pioneer League. He hit .231 (63-for-273) with five home runs, 32 RBI, 12 doubles, six triples and eight stolen bases in 68 games.
Mondesi Jr., is the son of former big league outfielder Raul Mondesi, the 1994 National League Rookie of the Year and a two-time Gold Glove-winning outfielder.
Badenhop, acquired Dec. 12, 2011 in a trade with the Miami Marlins, made a career-high 66 appearances with the Rays last season. He was 3-2 with a career-best 3.03 ERA. He had a 2.24 ERA after May 1.