Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Golf: All-Western Conference Teams
- Baseball: Jesuit OF Taylor selects Duke
- Land O’ Lakes defensive standout Shaheed Salmon picks up first offer
- Football: All-Western Conference Teams
- Rays non-tender Fuld
- Chargers WR Allen top rookie in Week 12 voting
- Collect call: 2014 Topps U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Team and Hopefuls
- Panini’s Totally Certified hockey to debut in February
- Leaf releases some corny inserts
- Volleyball: Berkeley Prep’s Brown a finalist for Miss Volleyball
- Rays 2014 spring training schedule
- Proposal would ease FHSAA penalty for violating “follow the coach” law
- Maddon’s Thanksmas returns for 8th year
- Maddux, Glavine, Thomas highlight newcomers on Hall of Fame ballot
- Glennon finalist for rookie award for second straight week
Rays to skip Niemann’s turn
Posted Jul 3, 2009 by Marc Lancaster
Updated Jul 3, 2009 at 06:03 PM
ARLINGTON, Texas—The Rays have decided to skip Jeff Niemann’s turn in the rotation, meaning Matt Garza will get the start here Sunday.
The Toronto series that begins Tuesday will go Shields-Kazmir-Price, with Niemann available out of the bullpen in the meantime.
Updating: Niemann will return to the rotation next Saturday, with Shields getting the final start before the break.
Here are tonight’s lineups, while we’re at it: