Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Manuel signs deal with Panini Authentic
- Panini previews Gold Standard basketball
- Golf: All-Western Conference Teams
- Baseball: Jesuit OF Taylor selects Duke
- Land O’ Lakes defensive standout Shaheed Salmon picks up first offer
- Football: All-Western Conference Teams
- Rays non-tender Fuld
- Chargers WR Allen top rookie in Week 12 voting
- Collect call: 2014 Topps U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Team and Hopefuls
- Panini’s Totally Certified hockey to debut in February
- Leaf releases some corny inserts
- Volleyball: Berkeley Prep’s Brown a finalist for Miss Volleyball
- Rays 2014 spring training schedule
- Proposal would ease FHSAA penalty for violating “follow the coach” law
- Maddon’s Thanksmas returns for 8th year
Rays @ Tigers: Battle of the unbeatens
Posted Apr 10, 2012 by Roger Mooney
Updated Apr 10, 2012 at 12:09 PM
DETROIT A clash of the titans this afternoon as the only two undefeated teams in the American League meet when the Rays open a three-city, 10-game road trip in chilly (41 degrees at noon) against the Tigers at Comerica Park.
Matt Moore, the Rays heralded rookie, makes his first start of the season against a Tigers’ offense that mauled the Red Sox during a season-opening sweep over the weekend.
Detroit scored 26 runs on 39 hits, including five doubles and seven home runs.
Miguel Cabrera hit three home runs. Price Fielder hit two. Miggy and Biggy are a powerful three-four combo.
Rays DH Luke Scott had a cortisone shot Monday and likely won’t play for the next few days, though neither he nor manager Joe Maddon were too specific on a day for his return.
Here are the lineups: