Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Boys Basketball: Robinson’s Brown reaches 1,000 career points
- Bucs’ Gholston a finalist for top weekly rookie honors
- Pasco High TE/DL Bowman Archibald picks up two Division I offers
- Girls Basketball: FABC/Source Hoops State Poll
- Land O’ Lakes boys soccer coach Mark Pearson earns 300th career win
- Manuel signs deal with Panini Authentic
- Panini previews Gold Standard basketball
- Golf: All-Western Conference Teams
- Baseball: Jesuit OF Taylor selects Duke
- Land O’ Lakes defensive standout Shaheed Salmon picks up first offer
- Football: All-Western Conference Teams
- Rays non-tender Fuld
- Chargers WR Allen top rookie in Week 12 voting
- Collect call: 2014 Topps U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Team and Hopefuls
- Panini’s Totally Certified hockey to debut in February
Rays sign C Gimenez to minor league deal with invite to big league camp
Posted Feb 16, 2012 by Roger Mooney
Updated Feb 16, 2012 at 06:22 PM
The Rays signed C Chris Gimenez to a minor league deal with an invite to big league spring training.
This is interesting, because Gimenez has major league experience.
Jose Molina, who signed with the Rays early this offseason, gives the Rays experience behind the plate, but he has been nothing more than a backup during his entire career.
This left the Rays with Jose Lobaton and Robinson Chirinos as the options to share the platoon with Molina.
But Gimenez has started 52 games behind the plate over the past three seasons while playing for the Indians (2009, 2010) and the Mariners (2011).
He’s also started 18 games in left field, eight in right and 20 games at first base.