Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Rays v Yanks: Nova to DL, Teixeira returns, updates on Cobb, Helly, DJ and lineups
- Rays v Yankees: Jennings out with groin injury
- Rays vs Yankees: lineups
- Girls Basketball: Walker, Gregory lead Tampa Bay players on All-State Teams
- A fresh, entertaining look at the 1991 World Series
- Plant’s Donahue signs with UF
- Florida High School Softball State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Brrrrrrrrrr
- Five Berkekey Prep student-athletes to be recognized at signing ceremony Wednesday
- Gulf softball coach Rick Hohenthaner resigns after 12 seasons
- Leaf heads to auction with Manziel predictor packs
- Panini provides a look at 2013-14 Signatures basketball product
- Testaverde leads group of seven Jesuit athletes to sign NLI’s Wednesday
- Florida High School Flag Football State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Lineups
Rays sign C Gimenez to minor league deal with invite to big league camp
Posted Feb 16, 2012 by Roger Mooney
Updated Feb 16, 2012 at 06:22 PM
The Rays signed C Chris Gimenez to a minor league deal with an invite to big league spring training.
This is interesting, because Gimenez has major league experience.
Jose Molina, who signed with the Rays early this offseason, gives the Rays experience behind the plate, but he has been nothing more than a backup during his entire career.
This left the Rays with Jose Lobaton and Robinson Chirinos as the options to share the platoon with Molina.
But Gimenez has started 52 games behind the plate over the past three seasons while playing for the Indians (2009, 2010) and the Mariners (2011).
He’s also started 18 games in left field, eight in right and 20 games at first base.