Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Rays @ BoSox: Lineups and injury updates
- Rays @ Yankees: Notes and lineups
- Update on Peralta’s neck
- Rays v Pirates: Moore on the bump, McClung on the bus
- Plant coach Roy Harrison elected to FHSAA Hall of Fame
- Volleyball: Freedom’s Schaller signs with Eckerd
- Five athletes at Strawberry Crest to play at next level
- Sunlake F Remi Pimm named Florida Dairy Farmers State 3A Player of the Year
- Anclote volleyball coach Chris Vergnaud steps down to join PHSC staff
- Hillsborough County’s top seniors take court tonight in TBBCA All-Star game
- Gregory, Corbett, Sanders, Childs, Channer to play in FABC state all-star basketball game
- Rays prepare for raining day - Price now pitching sim game in Port Charlotte
- A year-by-year look at Wrigley Field
- Leaf previews classic designs in Originals football
- All-Western Conference Cheerleading
Rays say thanks to Andino
Posted Mar 9, 2012 by Roger Mooney
Updated Mar 9, 2012 at 06:31 PM
PORT CHARLOTTE Orioles 2B Robert Andino was greeted with a standing ovation from those in the Rays dugout when he came to bat in the top of the first inning of what ended in a 3-3 10 innings later.
It was a tip of the cap to Andino, whose two-out, ninth-inning single scored Reimold with the winning run as the Orioles beat the Red Sox on the final night of the 2011 season.
The win enabled the Rays to clinch the Wild Card moments later.
“We just talked about that prior to the game, what was the appropriate thing to do? We saw him in the two-hole, we said let’s give him a nice round of applause,” Maddon said. “He was startled by it. He didn’t know what was going on. He was looking around. I thought it was pretty good.”
Andino wasn’t too startled. He doubled down the right field line.