Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Rays v Pirates: Moore on the bump, McClung on the bus
- Plant coach Roy Harrison elected to FHSAA Hall of Fame
- Volleyball: Freedom’s Schaller signs with Eckerd
- Five athletes at Strawberry Crest to play at next level
- Sunlake F Remi Pimm named Florida Dairy Farmers State 3A Player of the Year
- Anclote volleyball coach Chris Vergnaud steps down to join PHSC staff
- Hillsborough County’s top seniors take court tonight in TBBCA All-Star game
- Gregory, Corbett, Sanders, Childs, Channer to play in FABC state all-star basketball game
- Rays prepare for raining day - Price now pitching sim game in Port Charlotte
- A year-by-year look at Wrigley Field
- Leaf previews classic designs in Originals football
- All-Western Conference Cheerleading
- Rays v NYY: Ramos makes his pitch
- Miracle Sports Florida State Softball Poll: Week 2
- Ramos now a candidate for 5th starters spot
Rays receive infield prospect Belnome from the Padres
Posted Dec 13, 2012 by Roger Mooney
Updated Dec 13, 2012 at 06:14 PM
The Rays received infielder Vince Belnome from the Padres in exchange for LHP relief pitcher Chris Rearick.
Belnome, 24, is a left-handed batter who hit .275 (71-for-258) with 5 HR, 33 RBI and a .380 OBP in 80 games for Triple-A Tucson, playing primarily first base and second base. Over four minor league seasons he owns a career .300 avg. and .414 OBP. With 50 HR and 245 RBI. In 2011, he was named a Double-A postseason All-Star by Baseball America and a Texas League midseason All-Star. He was selected by the Padres in the 28th round of the 2008 June Draft out of West Virginia University.
Rearick, 25, has been named Best Relief Pitcher in the Rays minor league system for each of the past two seasons. In 2012 he went a combined 4-4 with 22 saves and a 2.70 ERA (70-IP, 21-ER) in 50 relief appearances between Class-A Charlotte and Double-A Montgomery, and was named a midseason Florida State League All-Star