Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Manuel signs deal with Panini Authentic
- Panini previews Gold Standard basketball
- Golf: All-Western Conference Teams
- Baseball: Jesuit OF Taylor selects Duke
- Land O’ Lakes defensive standout Shaheed Salmon picks up first offer
- Football: All-Western Conference Teams
- Rays non-tender Fuld
- Chargers WR Allen top rookie in Week 12 voting
- Collect call: 2014 Topps U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Team and Hopefuls
- Panini’s Totally Certified hockey to debut in February
- Leaf releases some corny inserts
- Volleyball: Berkeley Prep’s Brown a finalist for Miss Volleyball
- Rays 2014 spring training schedule
- Proposal would ease FHSAA penalty for violating “follow the coach” law
- Maddon’s Thanksmas returns for 8th year
Rays receive infield prospect Belnome from the Padres
Posted Dec 13, 2012 by Roger Mooney
Updated Dec 13, 2012 at 06:14 PM
The Rays received infielder Vince Belnome from the Padres in exchange for LHP relief pitcher Chris Rearick.
Belnome, 24, is a left-handed batter who hit .275 (71-for-258) with 5 HR, 33 RBI and a .380 OBP in 80 games for Triple-A Tucson, playing primarily first base and second base. Over four minor league seasons he owns a career .300 avg. and .414 OBP. With 50 HR and 245 RBI. In 2011, he was named a Double-A postseason All-Star by Baseball America and a Texas League midseason All-Star. He was selected by the Padres in the 28th round of the 2008 June Draft out of West Virginia University.
Rearick, 25, has been named Best Relief Pitcher in the Rays minor league system for each of the past two seasons. In 2012 he went a combined 4-4 with 22 saves and a 2.70 ERA (70-IP, 21-ER) in 50 relief appearances between Class-A Charlotte and Double-A Montgomery, and was named a midseason Florida State League All-Star