Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Rays vs Yankees: lineups
- Girls Basketball: Walker, Gregory lead Tampa Bay players on All-State Teams
- A fresh, entertaining look at the 1991 World Series
- Plant’s Donahue signs with UF
- Florida High School Softball State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Brrrrrrrrrr
- Five Berkekey Prep student-athletes to be recognized at signing ceremony Wednesday
- Gulf softball coach Rick Hohenthaner resigns after 12 seasons
- Leaf heads to auction with Manziel predictor packs
- Panini provides a look at 2013-14 Signatures basketball product
- Testaverde leads group of seven Jesuit athletes to sign NLI’s Wednesday
- Florida High School Flag Football State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Lineups
- Patchan picks Hurricanes
- Recalling an iconic weekend at the Masters
Rays receive infield prospect Belnome from the Padres
Posted Dec 13, 2012 by Roger Mooney
Updated Dec 13, 2012 at 06:14 PM
The Rays received infielder Vince Belnome from the Padres in exchange for LHP relief pitcher Chris Rearick.
Belnome, 24, is a left-handed batter who hit .275 (71-for-258) with 5 HR, 33 RBI and a .380 OBP in 80 games for Triple-A Tucson, playing primarily first base and second base. Over four minor league seasons he owns a career .300 avg. and .414 OBP. With 50 HR and 245 RBI. In 2011, he was named a Double-A postseason All-Star by Baseball America and a Texas League midseason All-Star. He was selected by the Padres in the 28th round of the 2008 June Draft out of West Virginia University.
Rearick, 25, has been named Best Relief Pitcher in the Rays minor league system for each of the past two seasons. In 2012 he went a combined 4-4 with 22 saves and a 2.70 ERA (70-IP, 21-ER) in 50 relief appearances between Class-A Charlotte and Double-A Montgomery, and was named a midseason Florida State League All-Star