Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Plant coach Roy Harrison elected to FHSAA Hall of Fame
- Volleyball: Freedom’s Schaller signs with Eckerd
- Five athletes at Strawberry Crest to play at next level
- Sunlake F Remi Pimm named Florida Dairy Farmers State 3A Player of the Year
- Anclote volleyball coach Chris Vergnaud steps down to join PHSC staff
- Hillsborough County’s top seniors take court tonight in TBBCA All-Star game
- Gregory, Corbett, Sanders, Childs, Channer to play in FABC state all-star basketball game
- Rays prepare for raining day - Price now pitching sim game in Port Charlotte
- A year-by-year look at Wrigley Field
- Leaf previews classic designs in Originals football
- All-Western Conference Cheerleading
- Rays v NYY: Ramos makes his pitch
- Miracle Sports Florida State Softball Poll: Week 2
- Ramos now a candidate for 5th starters spot
- Rays @ BoSox: Archer’s first start
Rays recall Brignac to fill roster spot
Posted Aug 15, 2009 by Marc Lancaster
Updated Aug 15, 2009 at 03:31 PM
The Rays have recalled Reid Brignac from Durham to replace Jeff Bennett on the active roster, leaving Chad Bradford to idle indefinitely before returning from the disabled list.
The plan heading into last night’s game had been to activate Bradford, but the uncertainty surrounding Pat Burrell’s status after his neck problems flared up during last night’s game made it prudent for the Rays to shore up their bench by bringing back Brignac.
The move came despite an MLB.com report by Lisa Winston earlier today that Bradford had been reinstated. The report didn’t cite any sources, and has since been removed from the league’s official site. No one connected with the team seems to have any idea where that information came from, but that’s the way it goes in these days and times, right?
Anyway, Brignac will be available off the bench tonight.