Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Rays vs Yankees: lineups
- Girls Basketball: Walker, Gregory lead Tampa Bay players on All-State Teams
- A fresh, entertaining look at the 1991 World Series
- Plant’s Donahue signs with UF
- Florida High School Softball State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Brrrrrrrrrr
- Five Berkekey Prep student-athletes to be recognized at signing ceremony Wednesday
- Gulf softball coach Rick Hohenthaner resigns after 12 seasons
- Leaf heads to auction with Manziel predictor packs
- Panini provides a look at 2013-14 Signatures basketball product
- Testaverde leads group of seven Jesuit athletes to sign NLI’s Wednesday
- Florida High School Flag Football State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Lineups
- Patchan picks Hurricanes
- Recalling an iconic weekend at the Masters
Rays @ Rangers: Shields goes for win No. 13
Posted Aug 31, 2011 by Roger Mooney
Updated Aug 31, 2011 at 06:04 PM
The right field stands reached Tuesday night by Josh Hamilton, whose sixth inning home run landed in the second deck.
ARLIONGTON, Tx Another hot one here in Texas, as the temperature exceeded 100 degrees again.
James Shields goes for win No. 13, which would tie his career-high set last season. He said he’s been drinking fluids for days in preparation of tonight’s start.
Shields leads the major leagues with 10 complete games. He leads the American League with four shutouts. He’s fourth in the AL in innings pitched (201) and strikeouts (192) and is sixth in the AL in ERA (2.96).
The Rays, losers of two straight, begin the day 8 ½ games back of the Yankees in the Wild Card standings. The Yankees face the Red Sox in Boston and are only a half-game back of the Red Sox for the division lead.
No surprise with the Rays lineup. Here it is:
Shields (12-10, 2.96)
Ogando (12-6, 3.57)