Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Plant coach Roy Harrison elected to FHSAA Hall of Fame
- Volleyball: Freedom’s Schaller signs with Eckerd
- Five athletes at Strawberry Crest to play at next level
- Sunlake F Remi Pimm named Florida Dairy Farmers State 3A Player of the Year
- Anclote volleyball coach Chris Vergnaud steps down to join PHSC staff
- Hillsborough County’s top seniors take court tonight in TBBCA All-Star game
- Gregory, Corbett, Sanders, Childs, Channer to play in FABC state all-star basketball game
- Rays prepare for raining day - Price now pitching sim game in Port Charlotte
- A year-by-year look at Wrigley Field
- Leaf previews classic designs in Originals football
- All-Western Conference Cheerleading
- Rays v NYY: Ramos makes his pitch
- Miracle Sports Florida State Softball Poll: Week 2
- Ramos now a candidate for 5th starters spot
- Rays @ BoSox: Archer’s first start
Rays prospect Guerrieri suspended 50 games for violating minor league baseball drug policy
Posted Oct 18, 2013 by Roger Mooney
Updated Oct 18, 2013 at 06:09 PM
Taylor Guerrieri, the Rays first pick in the 2011 draft, violated the Minor League Drug Prevention and Treatment Program for a second time and received a 50-game suspension.
The right-handed pitcher tested positive for a drug of a abuse, according to the baseball commissioner’s office.
Guerrieri, 20, is the 13th member of the Rays minor league system to be suspended for testing positive for a performance enhancing drug or drug of abuse since 2012. He is the third first-round pick by the Rays to be suspended during that time, joining Tim Beckham (marijuana) and Josh Sale (PED).
Guerrieri, selected 24th overall in 2011, made 14 starts in 2013 for low Class A Bowling Green before being sidelined with an elbow injury that required Tommy John Surgery in late July.
He was 6-2 with a 2.01 ERA
His suspension will begin at the start of the 2014 season, meaning Guerrieri will still be rehabbing from his surgery while he is under suspension.