Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Rays @ BoSox: Lineups and injury updates
- Rays @ Yankees: Notes and lineups
- Update on Peralta’s neck
- Rays v Pirates: Moore on the bump, McClung on the bus
- Plant coach Roy Harrison elected to FHSAA Hall of Fame
- Volleyball: Freedom’s Schaller signs with Eckerd
- Five athletes at Strawberry Crest to play at next level
- Sunlake F Remi Pimm named Florida Dairy Farmers State 3A Player of the Year
- Anclote volleyball coach Chris Vergnaud steps down to join PHSC staff
- Hillsborough County’s top seniors take court tonight in TBBCA All-Star game
- Gregory, Corbett, Sanders, Childs, Channer to play in FABC state all-star basketball game
- Rays prepare for raining day - Price now pitching sim game in Port Charlotte
- A year-by-year look at Wrigley Field
- Leaf previews classic designs in Originals football
- All-Western Conference Cheerleading
Rays place Pena on DL
Posted Aug 6, 2010 by Tribune Sports
Updated Aug 6, 2010 at 03:40 PM
By TONY FABRIZIO
TORONTO - Carlos Pena won’t be available for any of the six-game road trip the Rays begin tonight at Toronto.
The Rays today placed the first baseman on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to Aug. 1, and recalled right-handed relief pitcher Dale Thayer from Triple-A Durham.
Dan Johnson, who was having a monster season at Durham when the Rays called him up earlier this week, will get a lot of the work at first base in Pena’s place.
Pena is batting .212 with 23 home runs and 68 RBIs. He has not played since last Saturday because of a right foot injury, which the Rays are now calling a plantar fascia (ligament) sprain.
Thayer is 2-1 with a 3.35 ERA and three saves in 45 2/3 innings. He appeared in 11 games for the Rays last year and went 0-0 with a 4.61 ERA and one save in 13 2/3 IP.
We’ll have comments from manager Joe Maddon and the lineups before the game starts.